HIPO and USPTO Continue Patent Prosecution Highway
The Hungarian Intellectual Property Office (HIPO) and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) have recently agreed to extend the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) program, which was launched on July 1, 2010 to accelerate the patent granting procedure by sharing information between the two patent offices.
The PPH’s trial period ended a year after the launch, but as the applicants became more interested in the program’s benefits, HIPO and USPTO extended the program in order to assess its feasibility more thoroughly. A formal decision on the future of the program has not been reached yet.
The PPH enables each participating office to use the work already done by the other office, which avoids duplication of work and accelerates the patent granting procedure. For example, an applicant that received a favorable ruling from one patent office on at least one claim in the application may request a fast-track examination of the corresponding application filed with the other patent office.
For more information, please contact Masa Lopicic at our Balkan Regional Office.
Source: HIPO; USPTO
October 2011 News
- Deadline for Re-Registration of Serbian Trademarks in Montenegro December 16
- Simplified Customs Procedure as of January 1, 2012 in Montenegro
- Amendments to Law on Customs Measures for Protection of IP Rights Enter into Force in Macedonia
- Serbia Adopts Trade Secret Law
- Albania Amends Patent Regulation
- New Trademark Regulation Enters into Force in Montenegro
- Authorities Bust Largest Hungarian Movie Piracy Group
- Polish Wine Producer Loses against Ferrero over Raffaello Trademark
- Macedonia Ratifies London Agreement
- HIPO and USPTO Continue Patent Prosecution Highway
- Change in Individual Fees Under Madrid Protocol for Bulgaria
- Romanian Copyright Office Sets Fees for Broadcasting Ambient Music
- Romanian Customs Seize Adidas, Ferrari, Stihl, Puma, Nike Counterfeits
- Kosovo Customs Destroy Counterfeit Nike Soccer Balls
- Serbian Customs Seize Nike, Air Max Labels
- Macedonian Customs Seize Cassette/CD Players, Winter Jackets, Boots
- 2.5 Million Packages of Counterfeit Medicine Sold in Ukraine in 2010
- Romanian Customs Participate in International Anti-Counterfeiting Operation
- Unlicensed Software Seized in Bulgaria
- Serbia New Chair of WIPO
- EPO President Visits Serbia
- WIPO and Croatia PTO Sign Agreement on Electronic Exchange of Documents
- Croatia and OHIM Agree on Future Cooperation