Kosovo Working on New Customs Regulations for Protection of IP Rights
The government of Kosovo has been working with the EU’s rule of law mission in Kosovo (EULEX) and the EU’s project Technical Assistance to Customs and Tax Administrations (TACTA) on new customs regulations regarding goods infringing intellectual property rights.
As part of this project, the legal experts are drafting an amendment to the IPR Regulation 2008/22 in order to bring it fully in line with the EU Regulation 1383/2003. One of the main points to be addressed in the amendment is the fast track procedure, which would allow fast destruction of counterfeit goods.
Under the EU Regulation, it is possible to destroy counterfeit items without any need to go to the court, in case the owner or the importer of the goods gives consent, whereas in Kosovo, it is necessary, under the current regulations, to go to the court to obtain the right to seize and destroy the counterfeits.
The government of Kosovo is currently reviewing the draft after which it will require the parliamentary approval.
For more information, contact Ignacio Lazaro in our Brussels Office.
October 2009 News
- Moscow Police Seize 200,000 Pirated DVDs
- Albanian PTO Announces New Official Fees
- Russian Patent Legal Status Data Available in INPADOC Database
- Kosovo Working on New Customs Regulations for Protection of IP Rights
- Update on Kosovo Issuing IP Certificates
- Montenegro PTO Starts Substantive Examination of Trademark Applications
- Deadline Extended for Montenegro Domain .ME to Replace CG.YU
- Romanian Customs Seize 7,000 Counterfeit FIFA Soccer Balls
- Macedonian Customs Seize Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabbana, Armani and Nike Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Company Fined for Unfair Competition
- Bulgarian PTO Joins EuroClass Project
- Macedonia Gets WCO Regional Training Center
- Internet Piracy Biggest IP Violation in Macedonia
- Kyrgyzstan Selected Regional Coordinator of WIPO
- Macedonian PTO Approves New Official Fees
- Seminar on the Role of Trademarks and Geographical Indications in Prague
- Macedonia to Host WCO European Heads of Customs Conference
- Budapest to Host Regional Conference on Coexistence of Community and National Trademark Systems