Russian Police Seize 30,000 Bottles of Counterfeit Vodka
Last month the police officials in the city of Chita, capital of the Zabaikalsky Territory, eastern Siberia, discovered a truck carrying 30,000 half-liter bottles of counterfeit vodka, worth approximately USD 90,000 (EUR 74,000).
The bottles, labeled Pchenichnaya, had fake excise labels. Each bottle cost approximately USD 1.5 (EUR 1.2) to make, while the counterfeiters intended to sell it for double that price on the retail market.
The police believe that the truck arrived from Ulan-Ude, the capital of the neighboring Republic of Buryatia, and that the owner of the fake vodka is the same person who was arrested in March this year while trying to bribe the police to release the counterfeit vodka seized in a raid that also happened in Zabaikalsky Territory, eastern Siberia.
Despite Russia’s efforts to combat the problem of fake liquor production, counterfeit alcohol was approximately one third of the market sales in 2011.
In 2011, the Russian police seized a total of 305,000 liters of counterfeit alcohol. Fake alcohol is considered to be the cause of death for 12,000 people last year.
Prepared by: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: Russian International News Agency — RIA Novosti
July 2012 News
- Albanian PTO Rules in Favor of Serbian Chips Producer in Trademark Opposition Case against Macedonian Competitor
- Romanian PTO Decision on Go Fast Sports & Beverage Company’s Opposition Could Set Precedent
- Bulgaria Court Rules against German Retailer Lidl in Trademark Cancellation Procedure
- Czech and US ‘Budweiser’ Marks Can Coexist on UK Market
- Heineken Launches Legal Proceedings to Prevent Competitors From Using Term ‘Radler’
- Diageo Wins Parallel Import Battle in Russia
- Croatian and Hungarian PTOs Join EuroClass Project
- Hungarian Trademarks Added to TMview
- Bulgarian Company Cannot Register Design Similar to Bic Lighter 3D Trademark
- Two Copyright Collectives Receive Licenses in Kosovo
- Hungary Signs New Treaty on Audiovisual Performances
- Moldova and EU Sign Agreement on Protection of Geographical Indications
- Russian Police Arrest Cancer Drug Counterfeiters
- Russian Police Seize 30,000 Bottles of Counterfeit Vodka
- Ukraine Ratifies MEDICRIME Convention
- Ukrainian Customs Seize 67,500 Counterfeit Eaux de Toilette
- Romanian Customs Seize Fake Adidas, Versace, BMW, Jaguar Goods
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Footwear
- Albanian Customs Seize Louis Vuitton, Levi’s, Chanel, Hugo Boss, Nike Counterfeits
- Serbian Customs Administration Receives WCO Prize