Czech Brewer Wins Trademark Case Against US Rival in Bulgaria
A Bulgarian court has ruled in favor of the state-owned Czech brewer Budějovický Budvar in a trademark dispute with the US-based brewer Anheuser-Busch over the right to use the trademark “Bud” in Bulgaria.
The Sofia Municipal Court rejected Anheuser-Busch’s attempt to challenge Budvar’s registration of “Bud” as a protected geographic indication of origin and ordered cancellation of two Anheuser-Busch trademarks: “Bud” and “American Bud”. Budvar is seeking cancellation of other trademarks registered by the US brewer in Bulgaria, including “Anheuser-Busch Bud”.
Budějovický Budvar and Anheuser-Busch have been involved in a long-running legal dispute over the rights to the “Bud” trademark in the EU. You can read more about this case here.
For more information, please contact Aleksandra Pavlovic at our Macedonia office.
Source: Czech Position news portal
August 2011 News
- Kosovo New Trademark Law Introduces Important Novelties
- New Copyright Law Enters into Force in Montenegro
- Walmart’s ‘Save Money. Live Better’ Opposition Dismissed in Russia
- Google Finally Asserts Right to Google.ua
- Russian Registrar Fined EUR 6 M for Domain Registration Violations
- Czech Police Arrest Counterfeit Drugs Gang
- Bosnian Software Pirate Sentenced to Prison
- Czech Brewer Wins Trademark Case Against US Rival in Bulgaria
- Czech Real Estate Firm Files Trademark Infringement Suit Against Government
- Serbia Adopts National IP Strategy 2011-2015
- Law on Optical Disks in Serbia Explained
- Hungary Amends Domain Name Regulations
- Czech Pirate Party Launches Movie-Download Portals in Protest Against Prosecution of File-Sharing Teenager
- Change in Individual Fees Under Madrid Protocol for Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan
- Slovakia Informs WIPO of Fees Under Budapest Treaty
- Bulgarian Customs Destroy Counterfeit L&M Cigarettes
- Macedonian Customs Seized Adidas, Diesel, Panasonic Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Lacoste, Wrangler, Adidas Counterfeits
- Romanian Customs Seize Disney, Vogue, Kenzo Counterfeits
- Kosovo Establishes First Copyright Collective
- Azerbaijani Copyright Agency to Pay Royalties for Downloaded Music to Foreign Performers
- Kosovo Approves Three New IP Laws