Google Finally Asserts Right to Google.ua
In October last year the Higher Commercial Court of Ukraine prevented a fictional Ukrainian company called Go Ogle from using Google’s commercial name in its domain name.
However, the same court decided to send back for a new trial the issue of the delegation of the disputed domain name by the .ua domain name registrar Hostmaster. The specific issue argued was whether the act of registration of the domain name itself infringed Google’s rights.
Considering the worldwide fame of the search engine and its trademark, obtained long before Go Ogle, the Kiev Commercial Court of Appeals ruled that the act of registration of the domain name itself infringed Google’s rights. According to the court’s decision, the domain name is to be delegated to the multinational corporation.
Experts believe that this decision shows that the Ukrainian judicial system is capable of working with delicate domain name issues. It is likely that the Ukrainian courts will have many similar cases in the future, considering that the cyber squatters registered other popular trademarked names such as interfax.ua, fortune.ua, naftogaz.ua, etc.
For more information, please contact Maya Kryvoshei at our Ukraine office.
Source: Hostmaster, .ua domain name registrar
August 2011 News
- Kosovo New Trademark Law Introduces Important Novelties
- New Copyright Law Enters into Force in Montenegro
- Walmart’s ‘Save Money. Live Better’ Opposition Dismissed in Russia
- Google Finally Asserts Right to Google.ua
- Russian Registrar Fined EUR 6 M for Domain Registration Violations
- Czech Police Arrest Counterfeit Drugs Gang
- Bosnian Software Pirate Sentenced to Prison
- Czech Brewer Wins Trademark Case Against US Rival in Bulgaria
- Czech Real Estate Firm Files Trademark Infringement Suit Against Government
- Serbia Adopts National IP Strategy 2011-2015
- Law on Optical Disks in Serbia Explained
- Hungary Amends Domain Name Regulations
- Czech Pirate Party Launches Movie-Download Portals in Protest Against Prosecution of File-Sharing Teenager
- Change in Individual Fees Under Madrid Protocol for Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan
- Slovakia Informs WIPO of Fees Under Budapest Treaty
- Bulgarian Customs Destroy Counterfeit L&M Cigarettes
- Macedonian Customs Seized Adidas, Diesel, Panasonic Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Lacoste, Wrangler, Adidas Counterfeits
- Romanian Customs Seize Disney, Vogue, Kenzo Counterfeits
- Kosovo Establishes First Copyright Collective
- Azerbaijani Copyright Agency to Pay Royalties for Downloaded Music to Foreign Performers
- Kosovo Approves Three New IP Laws