Ukrainian Cyber Police Shut Down Movie Streaming Websites
The Ukrainian cyber police unit recently blocked two websites which distributed and broadcasted pirated content.
In Odessa, southern Ukraine, police officials arrested the alleged founder of icinemax.net. The losses inflicted on the rights holders are estimated at EUR 100,000 (USD 108,000). The police seized the computer equipment used to operate icinemax.net and blocked movie streaming on the website.
The cyber police unit in Kyiv removed all content from sosnica.io.ua, another website that spread pirated movies, and detained its owner. It is estimated that the website inflicted losses of over EUR 35,000 (USD 38,000) on the relevant rights holders.
The detained men are charged with infringement of copyright and related rights and are facing heavy fines or incarceration of up to two years, as well as the confiscation of all relevant computer programs, databases, related equipment and copies of pirated works.
Prepared by: Olga Goncharova and Dina Petošević
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Ukrainian cyber police website
April 2017 News
- Eurasian Economic Union Moves Forward with Customs Code, Eurasian Trademark
- Russia Amending Law on Information to Accelerate Proceedings Against Mirror Websites
- Slovenia Passes Law Introducing Plain Tobacco Packaging from 2020
- Russia Ratifies Geneva Act of Hague Agreement on Industrial Designs
- Romanian PTO Starts Publishing National Design and Utility Model Applications
- Romanian Domain Registry Postpones Implementation of Maintenance Fee for .Ro Domain Names
- Bulgarian PTO Publishes Draft Ordinance on Industrial Property Representatives
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 131,000 Worth of Fake Toys
- Ukrainian Customs Seize EUR 124,000 Worth of Fake Textile Products
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Fake Apparel, Sneakers, Perfume
- Hungarian Officials Seize Fake Perfume
- Fake Clothes, Sneakers and Accessories Destroyed in Montenegro
- Albania Amends Industrial Property Law
- Latvian PTO Signs New Cooperation Plan with EPO
- Poland Joins Federated European Patent Register
- Ukrainian Cyber Police Shut Down Movie Streaming Websites
- Polish Court Decides to Extradite KickassTorrents Owner to US
- Slovenia Loses EUR 5 Million Yearly Due to Counterfeit Pesticides
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Fake Chewing Gum, Sneakers, Apparel
- Serbian Customs Seize Fake Apparel, Footwear