Anheuser-Busch Acquires Rights to Czech Brewer’s Budweiser Marks
The leading global brewer Anheuser-Busch InBev, owner of the US Budweiser trademark, has recently acquired the rights to the Budweiser trademarks held by a Czech brewery Budejovicky Mestansky Pivovar (BMP).
BMP and a larger, state-owned brewery Budejovicky Budvar are both based in the town of Budejovice, also known as Budweis, and have both been involved in disputes with Anheuser-Busch InBev over the rights to the Budweiser mark, the rights to which Budejovicky Budvar owns in most European countries, where Anheuser-Busch is aiming to expand.
“Anheuser-Busch InBev and BMP have settled all their trademark disputes and Anheuser-Busch inBev has acquired the rights to BMP’s Budweiser trademarks,” a spokeswoman for Anheuser-Busch InBev stated for the beverage industry news and information portal just-drinks.com on January 12, adding that, “BMP’s former owners will own the BMP brewing operations in the Czech Republic and the non-Budweiser trademarks”.
The number of trademarks that Anheuser-Busch InBev acquired from BMP and the number of European countries affected by this deal have not been disclosed.
Anheuser-Busch InBev claims that the above is unrelated to Budejovicky Budvar and concerns BMP’s Budweiser intellectual property rights only.
For more information, please contact Aleksandra Pavlovic at our Macedonia office.
Source: Beverage industry portal just-drinks.com
January 2012 News
- Serbian Cyrillic Domain Registration Starts January 27
- New Patent Law in Serbia Introduces Important Changes
- Administrative Instruction on Accelerated Examination of Trademark Applications Enters into Force in Kosovo
- Anheuser-Busch Acquires Rights to Czech Brewer’s Budweiser Marks
- Luxury Watchmaker Wins Parallel Imports Case in Russia
- Russia to Establish Special IP Court by February 1, 2013
- Selling Drugs Online Prohibited in Ukraine
- Serbia Adopts Copyright Law Amendments
- New Copyright Law Enters into Force in Kosovo
- Ukraine to Adopt Stricter Copyright Regulations
- Moldova Denounces Eurasian Patent Convention
- Rospatent and USPTO Agreement Takes Effect
- Montenegro Accedes to Patent Law Treaty, Strasbourg Agreement
- Bosnia Accedes to Vienna Agreement on Figurative Elements of Marks
- Tajikistan Accedes to Geneva Act
- Azerbaijan to Establish Electronic IP Rights Registration System
- US Identifies Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria Marketplaces as Top Pirates
- Romanian Customs Seize Fake Apparel, Footwear, Toys
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Air Fresheners, Shoe Polish, Cell Phones
- Polish Customs Seize Counterfeit Euro 2012 Medals
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Fake Belts, Perfumes
- Unlicensed Software Seized in Bulgaria