Moldovan IPO Hosts UPOV Regional Training on Plant Variety Protection
The Moldovan Intellectual Property Office and the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV) have recently held a regional training on plant variety protection under the UPOV Convention for Certain Countries in the Eurasian Region.
The training took place in Chisinau, Moldova, from June 9 to 11, 2009. The event was supported by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF).
The purpose of the training was to discuss effective implementation of systems for plant variety protection, the impact of plant variety protection under the UPOV Convention, and on industry’s perspective within the framework of the Convention.
Vice Secretary-General of UPOV, Rolf Jördens, presented a brief guide for drafting relevant laws for countries that intend to join the UPOV.
Katsymi Iamagychi of the MAFF and Kitispi Sukhapinda of the USPTO informed participants about plant variety protection systems in their countries, while representatives of Armenia, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Slovakia Tajikistan and Ukraine presented theirs.
For more information, please contact Jovana Miocinovic in our Balkan Regional Office.
June 2009 News
- Draft of Bosnian Trademark Law Up for Discussion
- Romanian PTO Limits Turn-Around for Trademark Searches
- Croatian Chamber of Patent and Trademark Representatives Established
- Serbia Ratifies Several International IP Agreements
- Kyrgyz PTO and AsiaInfo Sign Agreement on Administration of “KG” Domain
- Macedonia and Serbia Gear up for National IP Strategies
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Adidas, Armani, Chanel, Lacoste and Nike Goods
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Davidoff, Dove, Kenzo, Nivea, Replay and Versace Goods
- Counterfeit Adidas and Nike Apparel Seized in Bulgaria
- Estonia, Russia and Slovakia Accede and Ratify International IP Treaties
- Montenegro’s ccTLD Records 250,000 Registrations
- Bulgaria Hosts 2009 Worldwide Symposium on Geographical Indications
- Moldovan IPO Hosts UPOV Regional Training on Plant Variety Protection