Bulgaria Hosts 2009 Worldwide Symposium on Geographical Indications
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the Bulgarian Patent Office (BPO) jointly hosted the 2009 Worldwide Symposium on Geographical Indications in Sofia, Bulgaria, June 10 to 12, 2009.
According to BPO, the event gathered representatives of more than 40 countries, including WIPO representatives, BPO, producer associations, governmental and non-governmental organizations, and delegates of national patent offices.
Newly elected director general of WIPO, Dr. Francis Gurry, attended the event as a special guest and officially closed the symposium.
Discussion topics included the following:
- Review of existing international registers for geographical indications;
- Role of geographical indications in preserving traditional knowledge and rural
- Geographical indications in South-Eastern Europe;
- System of protection of geographical indications and policy considerations
(workshop of administrations);
- Ways to develop the international legal framework for geographical indications.
Producers of goods also shared experiences in registering geographical indications for their products.
For more information, please contact Milena Bogoslovova in our Bulgaria Office.
Read more news on Bulgaria or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
June 2009 News
- Draft of Bosnian Trademark Law Up for Discussion
- Romanian PTO Limits Turn-Around for Trademark Searches
- Croatian Chamber of Patent and Trademark Representatives Established
- Serbia Ratifies Several International IP Agreements
- Kyrgyz PTO and AsiaInfo Sign Agreement on Administration of “KG” Domain
- Macedonia and Serbia Gear up for National IP Strategies
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Adidas, Armani, Chanel, Lacoste and Nike Goods
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Davidoff, Dove, Kenzo, Nivea, Replay and Versace Goods
- Counterfeit Adidas and Nike Apparel Seized in Bulgaria
- Estonia, Russia and Slovakia Accede and Ratify International IP Treaties
- Montenegro’s ccTLD Records 250,000 Registrations
- Bulgaria Hosts 2009 Worldwide Symposium on Geographical Indications
- Moldovan IPO Hosts UPOV Regional Training on Plant Variety Protection