Bulgaria Ratifies UPC Agreement
On June 3, 2016, Bulgaria deposited its instrument of ratification of the agreement on the Unified Patent Court (UPC).
Bulgaria is the 10th EU member state to complete the ratification process. Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Luxembourg, Malta, Portugal and Sweden have also ratified the agreement.
The agreement for establishing the UPC was signed in Brussels on February 19, 2013. The UPC will be a court common to the contracting states and thus part of their judicial system. It will have exclusive competence with regard to European patents and European patents with unitary effect.
The 25 states that signed the agreement are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
The UPC Agreement enters into force on the first day of the fourth month after at least 13 member states have deposited their instrument of ratification, including the three states with most European patents (France, Germany and the United Kingdom).
Prepared by: Julia Taneva
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: The Unified Patent Court; National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria; Bulgarian PTO
June 2016 News
- Ukraine Adopts New Laws on Judicial Reform; IP Court to be Established in 2017
- Slovenian Courts Follow CJEU Rulings, but the Administrative Interim Injunction Gets Lost in Transition
- Bulgaria Ratifies UPC Agreement
- Tajikistan Ratifies Amendments to TRIPS Agreement
- Romanian Translations of European Patents Designating Romania Now Available on Romanian PTO’s Website
- Albania, Georgia Join TMclass
- Romanian Police Seize Fake Medicine
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 77,300 Worth of Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Perfumes
- Original, Notarized PoA Required for Each Action before Kosovo IPO
- Macedonia Joins the So-Called “Federated” European Patent Register
- Cease and Desist Letters Mandatory in Russia Before Infringement Lawsuits
- Rehau Ukraine Wins Unfair Competition Dispute
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Toys, Accessories
- Hungarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Footwear
- Slovenian PTO: Patent, Trademark, Design Applications Decrease in 2015