OHIM Grants Anheuser-Busch ‘Bud’ CTM
Last month the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) officially granted the Belgium-based beer producer Anheuser-Busch InBev the “Bud” Community trademark (CTM).
The Czech brewer Budějovický Budvar and Anheuser-Busch were involved in a long-running legal dispute over the rights to the “Bud” trademark in the EU. In January 2013 the EU General Court dismissed the oppositions brought by Budějovický Budvar against Anheuser-Busch’s application to OHIM for registration of “Bud” as a CTM for various kinds of goods, including beer.
“This registration gives us rights to the Bud trademark valid throughout the entire European Union,” stated Frank Hellwig, global legal director at Anheuser-Busch. “While we have national rights for Bud and Budweiser in many European Union member states, it fills in the remaining gaps that we had. We now have more countries covered by Bud or Budweiser trademark registrations than we have had at any point in time in the 137 year history of the brand giving us virtually world-wide protection for the Bud or Budweiser brands.”
Prepared by: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch website
July 2013 News
- Amendments to Hungarian Trademark Law Explained
- Russia’s New Anti-Piracy Law to Enter into Force August 1
- Russian IP Court Opens its Doors on July 3
- Kyrgyzstan to Complete Road Map for Joining Customs Union
- Belarus PTO Appoints New Acting Director
- Armenia Accedes to Patent Law Treaty and Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks
- New Law on Topographies of Semiconductor Products Enters into Force in Serbia
- OHIM Grants Anheuser-Busch ‘Bud’ CTM
- Six New Languages Added to EPO Patent Translate
- Belarus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Turkey, Ukraine Take Part in INTERPOL-Led Anti-Counterfeiting Operation
- Slovak IPO Introduces Electronic Filing of Trademark Applications
- WIPO and Bulgaria Create Teaching IP Portal
- Polish Customs Seize 1.5 Million Counterfeit Condoms
- Fake Adidas Apparel Seized and Destroyed in Ukraine
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Toys, Bags, Car Locks
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Mobile Phone Accessories, Perfumes