Belarus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Turkey, Ukraine Take Part in INTERPOL-Led Anti-Counterfeiting Operation
Belarus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Ukraine and Turkey participated in a recent operation against counterfeiting and smuggling activities in Europe.
The International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) coordinated the operation, called Black Poseidon II, which led to huge seizures of counterfeit and illegal goods and a large number of arrests.
In Poland, the authorities arrested almost 200 people and seized various illegally traded goods worth approximately USD 26 million (EUR 20 million).
In Ukraine, the authorities discovered an illegal tobacco factory, located below ground level, and seized 250,000 packs of counterfeit cigarettes.
In Romania, the authorities seized nearly 22 million cigarettes, 2,150 kilograms of tobacco, as well as 136 vehicles used for smuggling tobacco.
In Turkey, more than 3,000 people were arrested and almost 12 million packs of smuggled cigarettes were confiscated.
Similar operations took place in Africa, Asia and the Americas. In total, about 24 million counterfeit items worth approximately USD 133 million (EUR 101 million) were seized.
The operations were part of INTERPOL’s Trafficking in Illicit Goods and Counterfeiting Program, launched in June 2012.
Prepared by: Masa Lopicic
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 2013 News
- Amendments to Hungarian Trademark Law Explained
- Russia’s New Anti-Piracy Law to Enter into Force August 1
- Russian IP Court Opens its Doors on July 3
- Kyrgyzstan to Complete Road Map for Joining Customs Union
- Belarus PTO Appoints New Acting Director
- Armenia Accedes to Patent Law Treaty and Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks
- New Law on Topographies of Semiconductor Products Enters into Force in Serbia
- OHIM Grants Anheuser-Busch ‘Bud’ CTM
- Six New Languages Added to EPO Patent Translate
- Belarus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Turkey, Ukraine Take Part in INTERPOL-Led Anti-Counterfeiting Operation
- Slovak IPO Introduces Electronic Filing of Trademark Applications
- WIPO and Bulgaria Create Teaching IP Portal
- Polish Customs Seize 1.5 Million Counterfeit Condoms
- Fake Adidas Apparel Seized and Destroyed in Ukraine
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Toys, Bags, Car Locks
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Mobile Phone Accessories, Perfumes