Microsoft Wins Rights to Windows.ru Domain
On November 21, the Moscow District Federal Commercial Court upheld lower court’s decision against Russian businessman Dmitry Shapovalov, who registered and used the Windows.ru domain name.
Shapovalov registered the Windows.ru domain in 1998 when he started the production of plastic windows. According to some sources, his website contained information about aircraft and avionics equipment.
On April 17, the Moscow Commercial Court ruled in favor of the Microsoft Corporation, the world’s leading software manufacturer, and prohibited Shapovalov from using the Windows trademark.
Shapovalov appealed. The appeal was dismissed.
Prepared by: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI); Moscow’s business daily Kommersant
December 2012 News
- Serbia Drafts New Law on Topographies of Semiconductor Products
- Microsoft Wins Rights to Windows.ru Domain
- Clothes Hangers Protected Under Design Patent in Ukraine
- New Official Fees for Eurasian Patents as of January 1, 2013
- Polish Trademarks Added to TMview
- Lithuania Approves Law on Ratification of Singapore Treaty
- Belarus Ratifies Law on Accession to Singapore Treaty
- Serbia Accedes to International Convention for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants
- Tajikistan Accedes to Phonograms Convention
- Czech Top-Level Domain Records 1 Millionth Registered Domain Name
- AmCham Bosnia Anti-Piracy Campaign Targets High School Students
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Bags, Deodorants
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 1.2 M Worth of Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Sports and Luxury Goods, T-Shirts