Albania to Ratify Patent Law Treaty and European Patent Convention
In order to meet the requirements for initiating accession talks with the European Union, the Albanian government has recently announced that it plans to ratify the Patent Law Treaty (PLT), and the European Patent Convention (EPC).
Accordingly, the Albanian Council of Ministers prepared and approved corresponding draft laws, which are now waiting for the parliament’s approval. It is expected that the parliament will approve the laws after the summer.
Upon approval, the laws will be published in the Official Gazette, and will enter into force 15 days after the publication.
In the meantime, Albania renewed its status of a European Patent Office (EPO) extension state by signing a two-year cooperation agreement with the EPO on January 31, 2009. The agreement will remain in force until Albania becomes full EPO member.
The EPO officially invited Albania to become its full member on July 4, 2008, following a positive evaluation of the Albanian PTO’s performance.
For more information, please contact Melina Nika in our Albania Office.
August 2009 News
- Serbian Court Issues Prison Sentence for Sony PlayStation Copyright Infringement
- Cosmo Bulgaria Mobile Fined over Copyright Infringement
- Serbian Draft Law on Geographical Indications Up for Discussion
- Albania to Ratify Patent Law Treaty and European Patent Convention
- Bulgarian Company Fined for Domain Infringement
- Serbian IPO Posts Procedures for Patent Searches and Examination
- Macedonia and Romania Establish Cooperation for Prior Art Searches
- Bulgarian Police Confiscate Counterfeit Adidas, Nike, Puma, and Tommy Hilfiger Items
- Macedonian Customs Seize Armani, Gillette, Hugo Boss and Prada Counterfeits
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Diesel, Lacoste and Reebok Goods
- Kyrgyzstan to Set up Administration Center for “KG” Domain
- WIPO Holds Summer IP School in Ukraine