Serbia Preparing GI Law Amendments
The Serbian IPO has recently published the text of the Draft Law on Amendments to the Law on Geographical Indications on its website.
The amendments aim to harmonize the current law with Regulation No. 1151/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 November 2012 on quality schemes for agricultural products and foodstuffs. Under this regulation, not only EU member states but also third countries can protect geographical indications relating to agricultural and food products at the EU level, provided that such designations enjoy protection at the national level and meet the requirements of the specified EU regulation.
The proposed amendments also aim to eliminate terminology issues and deficiencies that have been identified during the implementation of the current law, as thus ensure more accurate interpretation and effective implementation of the law.
The amendments to the provisions regulating civil procedure aim to establish a more efficient system of protection of geographical indications and further align Serbian legislation with the European Directive 2004/48/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the enforcement of intellectual property rights.
The text of the draft and the explanation of the amendments are available in Serbian and can be downloaded at this web page.
All interested parties can send their comments and suggestions by email to the IPO or IPO’s Deputy Director Mirela Boskovic.
Prepared by: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Serbian IPO
Read more news on Serbia or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
November 2013 News
- Liberalizing Parallel Imports in Russia – Clashing Views
- EPO, Moldova Sign Agreement on Validation of European Patents
- Poland Accedes to Locarno Agreement
- Slovenia Joins Designview
- Serbia Preparing GI Law Amendments
- IIPA Lists Key Ukrainian Websites with Pirated Content
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Footwear, Perfumes, Toys
- Romanian Customs Seize Fake Versace, Gucci Tableware
- Bosnian Customs Seize Counterfeit Sneakers
- Romanian PTO to Introduce Online Filing of Trademark and Design Applications