Polish ‘People’s Oskars’ Stir Up Hollywood
The American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has recently sent a cease and desist letter to a Polish folk arts association after discovering that the association has been handing out awards called ‘The People’s Oskars’.
In their letter to Waldemar Majcher, head of Poland’s Association of Folk Artists, the Academy lawyers insist that the verbal trademark Oscar is “inseparably associated with the Academy Awards” and that a Polish law adopted in the year 2000 guarantees its protection in Poland.
The Polish association claims the Academy’s demands are unfounded and that the award is named after Oskar Kolberg (1814-1890), a renowned Polish ethnographer, folklorist and composer.
Majcher stated that he was impressed the Academy even managed to discover his humble association, which has been handing out ‘The People’s Oskars’ – metal plaques with engraved images of Jesus – to local artists, museums and festivals for the last 10 years. He added that a team of lawyers is preparing a response to defend the use of the name.
For more information, please contact Masa Lopicic at our Balkan Regional office.
Source: Polskie Radio news portal
March 2012 News
- Georgia Amends Law on Border Measures Related to IP
- Polish ‘People’s Oskars’ Stir Up Hollywood
- Burberry Sues Armenian Coffee Chain For Trademark Infringement
- Russian Police Arrest Navigation Software Pirates
- Slovenian IPO Joins EuroClass Project
- New Regulation on Industrial Design Enters into Force in Montenegro
- Russia Shows Large Growth Rates in International Patent and Trademark Filings in 2011
- Lithuanian Patent Applications Increase in 2011
- Bulgarian Cosmetics Manufacturer Fined for Unfair Competition
- Albanian Citizen Fined for Unauthorized Publication of 'Mein Kampf'
- Moldova Gives Public Access to State Register of Control Marks Holders
- HP Fights Counterfeiting in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan
- Bosnia Fights Software Piracy
- Software Piracy Rate Declining in Serbia
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 5M Worth of Counterfeits
- Macedonian Customs Seize Fake Air Fresheners, Door Locks, Sneakers
- Bulgarian Customs Destroy Fake Machine Bearings
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel
- Estonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Cigarettes Worth EUR 3.5M