Albania Approves National IP Strategy 2010-2015
On September 1, 2010, the Albanian government adopted the national intellectual property strategy for the 2010-2015 period, drafted by the Albanian Ministry of Integration in cooperation with the European Patent Office (EPO) and supported by the EU’s Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA) funds.
The strategy defines the objectives to be reached during the 2010-2015 period, the most important of which are:
- A new copyright law to be adopted in 2011;
- Amendments to the current Albanian Penal Code recognizing counterfeiting as a criminal offense, to be approved in 2012;
- A law regulating the establishment of the Internal Market Inspectorate related to IP protection, in 2011.
The institutions directly affected by the strategy are the Albanian Patent and Trademark Office, the Albanian Copyright Office and the Albanian Customs.
This strategy will enter into force after its publication in the Albanian Official Gazette, which is expected soon.
For more information, please contact Melina Nika at our Albania office.
Read more news on Albania or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
October 2010 News
- Bulgaria to Register Grape Rakia as Protected Geographical Indication
- Priority Registration of Cyrillic IDNs with .com.ua and .kiev.ua as of October 19
- Russian Chocolate Maker Banned from Selling Raffaello Look-Alikes in Ukraine
- Rospatent to Serve as ISA, IPEA under PCT for US
- Accented Characters Now Allowed in Slovenian Domain Names, Registration Costs Reduced
- Albania Approves National IP Strategy 2010-2015
- Fake Nike Apparel Destroyed in Serbia
- Fake Goods Make Quarter of Russia’s Key Retail Sector Sales
- Georgia World Leader in Software Piracy
- Macedonian Customs Detain Gucci, Armani, Adidas, Nike, BIC Counterfeits
- Romanian Customs Seize Converse, Sony Counterfeits
- Macedonian Authorities Confiscate Computers, Pirate CDs
- Bulgarian Police Seize Counterfeit Luxury Goods
- Unlicensed Software Seized in Bulgaria
- Kazakhstan Accedes to Madrid Protocol
- Azerbaijan Accedes to Geneva Act
- Serbia Accedes to Nice Agreement and Singapore Treaty
- Kosovo PTO Now Accepts Search Requests