Bulgarian Snack Food Manufacturer Fined Over Misleading TV Commercial
Bulgaria’s Commission for Unfair Competition has recently fined the Bulgarian snack food producer Ital Food Industry AD, located in the town of Shumen in northeastern Bulgaria, with EUR 109,058 (USD 138,373) over a misleading television commercial.
The commercial was considered to be misleading as it created the impression and led consumers to believe that the advertised product, small round breads with various toppings, Bruschette Maretti, originates in Italy. The commercial is based entirely on the Italian culture and language, and the various ingredients used to make the snack product such as the olive oil, parmesan cheese, tomatoes and basil create the same impression.
The Commission ruled that Ital Food Industry AD’s action is contradictory to the fair trade practice as the producer should have clearly indicated that the product is Bulgarian by origin.
For more information, please contact Milena Bogoslovova at our Bulgaria office.
Source: Bulgaria’s Commission for Unfair Competition
Read more news on Bulgaria or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
May 2010 News
- Bulgaria Adopts Draft Law Amending the Law on Industrial Design
- New Rules on Patent and Industrial Design Extension in Azerbaijan
- Polish Court Dismisses Vegeta Suit Against Hungarian Spice Producer
- First Cyrillic Domain Launched in Russia
- Bulgarian Snack Food Manufacturer Fined Over Misleading TV Commercial
- U.S. Removes Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland from IP Watch List, Condemns Russia for Weak IP Protection
- Bill Tightening Penalties for Copyright Violation Introduced in Armenian Parliament
- Bosnia Working on New Customs Regulations for Protection of IPR
- Romanian Customs Detain Counterfeit Sneakers, Apparel, Cosmetics
- Macedonian Customs Seize Designer Clothes from Illegal Boutique
- Serbian Customs Seize Counterfeit Watches, Cell Phones
- Russian Tuberculosis Clinics Get Minilabs to Prevent Fake Medicines
- Slovenia Files Fewer Applications with EPO in 2009
- Lithuanian PTO Launches Electronic Patent Database
- AmCham Macedonia Prepares Guide for Protection of Trademarks
- Bulgaria PTO President Elected to OHIM Budget Committee
- In Romania All Pending Trademark Applications Now Online