Russian IPO Develops Fast-Track Examination for COVID-19-Related Patents
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Russian Intellectual Property Office (Rospatent) has been developing a fast-track patent examination program for inventions related to technologies for tackling viruses and associated diseases (pneumonia).
The program covers the following fields: antiviral medicines, diagnostic tests, medical devices, vaccines, and personal protective equipment. The prosecution of such applications is prioritized and the applications can be filed without paying the official fee usually associated with the accelerated examination. Under this program, Rospatent makes the final decision on patent applications within an average of 22 days.
From April to September 2020, 340 applications were filed under the fast-track patent examination program. Five of these applications were filed by foreign applicants, while the rest were filed by Russian applicants. Around 60 patents for inventions and utility models have so far been granted, including 6 patents for a vaccine, 7 patents for drugs used in the treatment and prevention of COVID-19 and associated complications, 11 patents for diagnostic tests and methods, 26 patents for disinfecting technologies and 6 patents for personal protective equipment. There are a few Russian patents related to a vaccine against COVID-19 that have been granted regulatory approval in Russia, in particular Gam-COVID-Vac (Sputnik V) and EpiVacCorona.
By: Natalia Osipenko
For more information, please contact Natalia Osipenko at our Russia office.
December 2020 News
- Protocol on Eurasian Design Patents to Enter into Force in March 2021
- Ukrainian Beverage Manufacturer Fined for Unfair Competition
- Romanian IPO Improves Electronic Filing Services for Trademarks
- Ukrainian Cyber Police Shut Down Illegal Streaming Service and Online Sale of Fake Food Items
- Hungarian Officials Seize Fake Apparel, Accessories
- Bulgaria Amends Patent Law
- Russia Ratifies EAEU Trademark Agreement
- Kazakhstan Ratifies Protocol on Eurasian Design Patents
- Ukraine Creates New IPO
- Romanian IPO Improves Electronic Filing Services
- Russian IPO Develops Fast-Track Examination for COVID-19-Related Patents
- Uzbekistan to Introduce New Food Labeling Requirements
- Kazakhstan Adopts Regulations on Collecting and Processing Personal Data
- Serbian Customs Seize Fake Chocolate Bars, Chewing Gum, Energy Drinks
- Kazakh Officials Seize Fake Luxury Watches