Russia Introduces Temporary Pre-Grant Protection for Industrial Designs
On June 27, 2019, amendments to Part IV of the Russian Civil Code entered into force, introducing a temporary, unregistered form of protection for industrial designs through an optional pre-grant publication of design applications.
According to the amendments, at the request of applicants, the Russian IPO will publish, in the Official Bulletin, information about industrial design applications that have passed formal examination. Temporary protection is granted from the application’s publication date. Previously, designs were published in the Official Bulletin only upon grant, after passing substantive examination.
The scope of temporary protection is limited to the essential design features as shown in the drawings in an application, but it cannot be broader than the set of essential features reflected in the drawings in the IPO’s grant decision. This means that if certain drawings or essential features are removed from the application at the stage of substantive examination, the applicant cannot claim damages for their unauthorized use within the frame of temporary protection.
By: Tatyana Kulikova
For more information, please contact Tatyana Kulikova at our Russia office.
July 2019 News
- Russia Introduces Temporary Pre-Grant Protection for Industrial Designs
- Uzbekistan Introduces Criteria for Determining Well-Known Trademarks, Transfers IPO Appeal Board to Ministry of Justice
- Croatia Adds Trademark Data to TMview’s Visual Search
- Latvian and Lithuanian National Patent Data Added to Patentscope
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 800,000 Worth of Fake Perfume, Cosmetics, Apparel
- Hungarian Customs Seize EUR 417,000 Worth of Fake Perfume
- Serbian Customs Seize Fake Apparel
- EAEU Agreement on Collective Management of Copyright Enters into Force
- Croatia Drafts New Patent Act
- Ukraine Increases Official Fees for IPR-Related Services as of July 19, 2019
- EU Adopts Regulation in Support of EU-Based Generics and Biosimilars Producers
- Montenegrin IPO Loses Autonomy to Newly Founded Directorate for Internal Market and Competition
- Ukraine Regulates Organic Food Production and Labeling
- EU Loses EUR 60 Billion Each Year in Sales Due to Counterfeiting
- Hungarian Customs Seize Fake Accessories Worth Over EUR 460,000
- Ukrainian Authorities Seize Fake Medicines