Serbian Red Pepper Chutney Registered as Appellation of Origin under Lisbon System
On April 5, homemade red pepper chutney from the town of Leskovac in the south of Serbia, in Serbian “Leskovački domaći ajvar”, was entered into the World Intellectual Property Organization’s register in accordance with the Lisbon Agreement for the Protection of Appellations of Origin and their International Registration.
As a result of the registration, the producers wishing to sell this product must become members of the local association of producers and accept certain obligations with regard to the manufacture and the quality of products.
The Leskovac pepper chutney, produced in a traditional manner, protected its name and geographical origin with the Serbian IPO in April last year.
This is the third product from Serbia to be protected under the Lisbon system, the first two being the Homolje Honey and the aromatic wine from Fruška Gora, Bermet.
In Serbia there are 58 products with geographical indications, primarily agricultural products and traditional clothing and handcrafts.
Author: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: Blic, the Serbian daily newspaper
April 2012 News
- Amended Albanian Criminal Code Treats IP Infringement as Criminal Offense
- Ukraine Clarifies Practice Regarding Trademarks Containing INNs
- German Pet Food Manufacturer Wins Bad Faith Trademark Case against Serbian Company
- Bulgarian Air-Conditioning Producer Fined for Domain Infringement
- Heineken Wins Parallel Import Case in Russia
- SKYY Spirits Sues Russian PTO over Trademark Cancellation
- Serbian Red Pepper Chutney Registered as Appellation of Origin under Lisbon System
- HIPO and USPTO Make Patent Prosecution Highway Permanent
- Moldova and Eurasian Patent Organization Sign Cooperation Agreement
- Croatia IPO Director Becomes EPO’s New Vice President
- Slovenian Customs Seize 19 Million Counterfeit Items in 2011
- Macedonian Customs Seize Fake Sunglasses, Apparel, Mobile Phone Accessories
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Nike, Disney Counterfeits
- Counterfeit Alcohol 37 Percent of Russian Market
- Piracy Rates in Azerbaijan Sharply Declining
- 6,000 Counterfeit CDs Seized at Kiev’s Petrivka Market
- Unlicensed Software Seized in Bulgaria