Piracy Rates in Azerbaijan Sharply Declining
The level of piracy in Azerbaijan in the area of audiovisual and musical works has decreased over the last six years from 90 percent to 67 percent, while the software piracy rate has dropped from 95 percent to 88 percent, Azerbaijani Copyright Agency Chairman Kamran Imanov stressed at an international conference held on the occasion of the World Book and Copyright Day in Baku on April 23, 2012.
Imanov said that the industries based on copyright now contribute 4.5 percent to Azerbaijan’s gross domestic product (GDP), while six years ago it accounted for only 2 percent. In the United States the figure is 11 percent, Imanov noted.
Imanov expressed hope that on the basis of an agreement signed with Microsoft, all state institutions will gradually start using only licensed software. Imanov added that international practice shows that such measures would reduce the use of pirated software by 14-15 percent.
Author: Aleksandra Pavlovic
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Azerbaijani business information portal ABC
April 2012 News
- Amended Albanian Criminal Code Treats IP Infringement as Criminal Offense
- Ukraine Clarifies Practice Regarding Trademarks Containing INNs
- German Pet Food Manufacturer Wins Bad Faith Trademark Case against Serbian Company
- Bulgarian Air-Conditioning Producer Fined for Domain Infringement
- Heineken Wins Parallel Import Case in Russia
- SKYY Spirits Sues Russian PTO over Trademark Cancellation
- Serbian Red Pepper Chutney Registered as Appellation of Origin under Lisbon System
- HIPO and USPTO Make Patent Prosecution Highway Permanent
- Moldova and Eurasian Patent Organization Sign Cooperation Agreement
- Croatia IPO Director Becomes EPO’s New Vice President
- Slovenian Customs Seize 19 Million Counterfeit Items in 2011
- Macedonian Customs Seize Fake Sunglasses, Apparel, Mobile Phone Accessories
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Nike, Disney Counterfeits
- Counterfeit Alcohol 37 Percent of Russian Market
- Piracy Rates in Azerbaijan Sharply Declining
- 6,000 Counterfeit CDs Seized at Kiev’s Petrivka Market
- Unlicensed Software Seized in Bulgaria