Ukrainian Customs Seize Two Million Counterfeit Marlboro Cigarette Packets
On January 20, 2011, the customs officials at a border crossing in the south of Ukraine seized a large shipment of empty cigarette packets and cartons marked with the trademark Marlboro and initiated a criminal investigation into the case.
The shipment of approximately 1.7 million cigarette packets and 200,000 cigarette cartons, valued at approximately EUR 292,082 (USD 394,487), arrived back in April 2010 at the seaport Illichivsk, southern Ukraine. According to the shipping forms and documents, a company from the city of Dnepropetrovsk, southeastern Ukraine, ordered the packets and cartons, which were manufactured in China. The owners of the company have, however, denied any connection with the fake goods and involvement in the case.
For more information, please contact Maya Kryvoshei at our Ukraine office.
Source: Ukrainian Customs
Read more news on Ukraine or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
February 2011 News
- Ferrero Loses Raffaello Trademark Protection in Ukraine
- Amendments to Russia’s Civil Code: Risk or Benefit for Trademark and Domain Name Holders?
- New Design Law in Montenegro Introduces Important Novelties
- Serbia to Adopt Optical Disk Law to Curb Piracy
- Estonia Amendments to Patent Law Introduce Prior Art Search
- Criminal Copyright Infringement Charges Against Russian Music Sharer
- Estonian Domain Reform Ends April 6, 2011
- YouTube Pays Royalties to Polish Artists
- Increase in National Trademark, Patent, Design Applications in Slovenia
- Kazakhstan Accedes to Nairobi Treaty on the Protection of the Olympic Symbol
- London Agreement Enters into Force in Hungary
- Croatia Accedes to Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks
- Ukrainian Customs Seize Two Million Counterfeit Marlboro Cigarette Packets
- Croatian Customs Seize Chanel, Armani, Gucci Counterfeits
- Macedonian Customs Detain Diesel, Armani, Adidas Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Authorities Seize 8,000 Fake Auto Parts
- Lithuania Launches Patent Applications Database
- Georgian Translation of Ninth Edition of Nice Classification Released