Latvia Amends Administrative Violations Code IP Provisions
According to the website of the Latvian PTO, Latvia has recently adopted a number of amendments to the Administrative Violations Code paragraphs related to intellectual property rights violations.
Article 166.17 of the Code was previously limited to trademark infringement, but it now also includes provisions on design infringement. Moreover, these provisions are now applicable not only to individuals, but also to legal entities.
For IP rights violations, the penalties for individuals range from EUR 285 (USD 368) to EUR 715 (USD 923). Penalties for legal entities range from EUR 1,425 (USD 1,840) to EUR 14,225 (USD 18,400).
The amended Article 155.8, related to copyright infringement, states that a legal entity can be fined with up to EUR 7,115 (USD 9,185).
Also, the newly amended Articles 148 and 149 of the Criminal Law, which prescribe sanctions for copyright and related rights violations, state that the infringers can be sentenced to up to six years of prison, depending on the nature of the violation.
For more information, please contact Masa Lopicic at our Balkan Regional Office.
Source: Latvian PTO
Read more news on Latvia or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
January 2011 News
- Bad Faith Registrations in Bosnia Persist Despite New Law
- New Montenegrin Design Law Gives 12-Month Deadline to Owners
- Ukraine Steps up UEFA Protection Ahead of Euro 2012 Soccer Championship
- Bosnia Adopts Rules on Industrial Property Registration Procedures
- Lithuania Adopts Amendments to Patent Law
- Kazakhstan Drafts Two New IP Laws
- Latvia Amends Administrative Violations Code IP Provisions
- Croatia Fights Counterfeiting
- Macedonian Authorities Destroy Counterfeit CDs, Cigarettes, Alcohol
- Bulgarian Police Seize USD 1,000,000 Worth of Counterfeit Luxury Items
- Warehouse for Counterfeit Sneaker Production Discovered in Serbia
- Macedonian Customs Detain Gucci, Kappa, D&G Counterfeits
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 485,000 Worth of Counterfeits
- Macedonia Registers First International Appellations of Origin
- Macedonian Translation of Ninth Edition of Nice Classification Released
- Russia and Finland Launch Patent Prosecution Highway
- Czech IPO Introduces Changes Concerning Official Fee Payment
- Uzbekistan SPO Announces Changes in Patent Fee Payment in National Currency
- Hungarian IPO Changes Name
- Kosovo PTO Launches its First IP Gazette