Counterfeit Chinese Fireworks Blamed for the Deadly Russian Nightclub Fire
A politician from the ruling United Russia party blamed counterfeit Chinese fireworks for the fire that engulfed the Lame Horse nightclub in the city of Perm, west-central Russia, on December 5, 2009, killing more than 150 and injuring 160 people.
“Russia is flooded with counterfeit fireworks. Most of them come from China, but there are other countries involved,” Dmitry Polikanov, advisor to the Head of the Central Executive Committee at the United Russia party, told Russia Today, adding that the cheap, low-quality pyrotechnics caused the deadly fire.
The Lame Horse nightclub fire was one of the greatest disasters that occurred in Russia last year. It started when sparks from the fireworks ignited the low, plastic ceiling. The visitors died from smoke inhalation, burns and in the panic-induced stampede.
For more information, please contact Jelena Jankovic in our Balkan Regional Office.
Source: Global Times
January 2010 News
- Extension of European Patents to Montenegro as from March 1, 2010
- Kosovo New Law on Customs Measures for Protection of Intellectual Property Rights
- Forbes Wins Domain Name Forbes.ru and USD 300,000 in Damages
- Burger King Fights for its Domain Name in Russia
- Bosnian Council of Ministers Adopts Seven IP Draft Laws
- Uzbekistan Extensions for Office Action Replies Shortened to Three Months
- Slovenian Industrial Property Bulletin Goes from Bi-monthly to Monthly in 2010
- Counterfeit Chinese Fireworks Blamed for the Deadly Russian Nightclub Fire
- Bulgarian Police Seize 2,5 Tons of Counterfeit Washing Detergent
- Quarter Ton Counterfeit Caviar Confiscated from the Aircraft of Russia’s Largest Diamond Company
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Adidas and Juventus Sweatshirts
- Russia Sets Minimum Vodka Price to Curb Counterfeit Alcohol Production
- Counterfeit Alcohol Shop Discovered in Bulgaria
- Bosnian Courts Convict 195 Pirates in the Last Four Years
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Technical Goods, Sports Equipment
- Bulgarian Cable TV Provider Fined for Unfair Competition
- Slovenian Patent Applications Increase in 2009
- Kosovo Delegation Visits Croatian IPO as part of EPO Project
- The Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks Enters into Force with Respect to Russia
- Montenegrin IPO Website Now in English