Russia Amends Unfair Competition Law
Nov 27 2015 - 12:25
The amendments to the Law on Protection of Competition were adopted in Russia on October 5, 2015 and will enter into force on January 5, 2016.
The most important change concerns Chapter 2 called “Unfair Competition”, which now includes eight articles (14.1–14.8) instead of one, as various forms of unfair competition are defined in more detail.
The new version of the law prohibits:
- Dissemination of false, inaccurate or misleading information that may cause damage to an economic entity or its business reputation (Art. 14.1);
- Misleading others as to the price, quality, quantity, place of production or other characteristics of the goods (Art. 14.2);
- Incorrect comparison of business entities or their goods, including the use of terms such as “the best”, “first”, “number one”, “only”, “exclusive”, “just”, without indicating characteristics or parameters of comparison that can be verified in practice (Art. 14.3);
- Registration of IP rights in bad faith (Art. 14.4);
- Commercialization of goods with illegally used IP rights (Art. 14.5);
- Committing or omitting acts that can lead to confusion with regards to competing business entities or goods, including the illegal use of trademarks, service marks, company names, trade names, appellations of origin, or trade dress infringement (colors, packaging, design of retail space, corporate style, shop windows) (Art. 14.6);
- Illegal disclosure of information (Art. 14.7);
- Other forms of unfair competition (Art. 14.8).
By: Tatyana Kulikova
For more information, please contact Tatyana Kulikova at our Russia office.
Read more news on Russia or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
November 2015 News
- Montenegro: Patent Revalidation Deadline of February 6, 2016 Approaching
- Russia: New Administrative Rules for Well-Known Trademarks
- Russia Amends Unfair Competition Law
- Poland, Serbia Join DesignView
- Ukrainian Authorities Discover Fake Clothes Workshops
- Hungarian Officials Seize Fake Brake System Components, Software, Toys
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 2M Worth of Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Fake Apparel, Shoes, Perfumes
- Counterfeit Sportswear Destroyed in Montenegro