Ukrainian Soap Maker Fails to Cancel Porsche Trademarks for Non-Use in Russia
The Russian IP Court recently rejected a non-use cancellation action filed by the Ukrainian soap maker Slobozhansky Mylovar against German automobile manufacturer Porsche AG’s Porsche, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Stuttgart trademark registrations.
In 2012, the Russian PTO’s Chamber of Patent Disputes partially refused Slobozhansky Mylovar’s applications for trademarks Posche and its Cyrillic version Поше, for soap, filed on November 30, 2010. Slobozhansky Mylovar appealed the PTO’s decision on partial refusal and this case was considered by the Moscow City Arbitrazh Court (the court of first instance), the Ninth Arbitrazh Court of Appeal (second instance) and the IP Court. The Supreme Court refused to reconsider the case.
Slobozhansky Mylovar recently asked for the early cancellation of trademarks Porsche, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Stuttgart on the basis of their non-use for goods such as soap, perfume, cosmetic and hair-care products. However, Porsche presented evidence that Clarins Group, French luxury cosmetics company, produced goods bearing the mark of Porsche Design under the license granted by Porsche.
The Russian IP Court also found that promoting the goods named Поше and Poshe, which can be confused with Porsche, could qualify as an act of unfair competition.
The IP Court decision can be appealed until April 25, 2015.
By: Tatyana Kulikova
For more information, please contact Tatyana Kulikova at our Russia office.
March 2015 News
- Bulgarian PTO Rejects Deutsche Telekom’s Opposition
- Albanian Court Rules in Favor of Retailer SPAR in Trademark and Copyright Infringement Case against Albanian Competitor
- Ukrainian Soap Maker Fails to Cancel Porsche Trademarks for Non-Use in Russia
- Parallel Import in EEU - Update
- Fake ‘Brown’ Epilators Destroyed in Albania
- Moschino, Honda, Harley Davidson Counterfeits Destroyed in Serbia
- Czech Republic Introduces New Customs Regulations
- Serbian Customs Seize Fake Mascaras, Watch Straps, Perfumes
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 1,400,000 Worth of Counterfeits
- Hungary Customs Seize Counterfeit Footwear, Apparel
- Russian PTO Ordered to Pay Record Sum for Court Expenses
- Russian IP Court and Evaluating Evidence
- Registering Design Patents for Everyday Objects Still Common in Ukraine