Russian Court Rules in Favor of Scottish Soft Drink Manufacturer AG Barr
On August 7, the Moscow Commercial Court dismissed the Russia-based Businessinvestgroup’s legal action seeking to cancel the protection of the IRON BREW, IRN-BRU, Iron Brew and PHENOMENAL trademarks belonging to the Scottish soft drink manufacturer AG Barr, on the grounds of non-use in Russia.
The plaintiff applied to register its own Irn-Bru trademark at the Russian PTO and argued that AG Barr’s registration of the same mark proved to be an obstruction in the trademark registration process. The plaintiff claimed that the mark had not been used in Russia for three years.
Carbonated soft drink Irn-Bru is AG Barr’s biggest brand, advertised as “Scotland’s other national drink”, next to Scotch whisky.
Businessinvestgroup has allegedly filed similar lawsuits against other firms, including Heineken. The company’s owner Azamat Ibatullin has reportedly applied to register numerous well-known marks, including Analgin, Playboy, Dr. Pepper, Orbit and Stimorol.
Prepared by: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)
September 2012 News
- Russia’s Presence in Montenegro: What It Means for Trademark Owners
- Bulgaria: No Proof of Malice, No Bad Faith
- IKEA Sues Russian Resident for Trademark Infringement
- Russian Court Rules in Favor of Scottish Soft Drink Manufacturer AG Barr
- French Champagne Producer Loses Rights to Cristal Trademark in Russia
- Largest Russian Brewery Denied ‘Zatecky Gus’ Trademark Registration
- Change in Individual Fee under Madrid Protocol for Tajikistan
- Czech Republic: Average Patent-Processing Period 3.3 Years for Domestic Applicants
- New Fees for Eurasian Patent Maintenance in Russia
- EAPATIS Modified to Improve Search Process
- Azerbaijan: 95 Percent of Plagiarized Textbooks University Material
- Romanian Customs Seize Fake Gucci, Versace, XerJoff, FC Barcelona Goods
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Footwear, Batteries
- Bulgarian Customs Destroy Counterfeit Apparel, Perfumes, Batteries