Largest Russian Brewery Denied ‘Zatecky Gus’ Trademark Registration
Last month the Ninth Commercial Court of Appeals upheld the April 2012 Moscow Commercial Court’s ruling, which upheld Russian PTO’s refusal to grant to Baltika Breweries, the largest Russian brewery, the Zatecky Gus trademark registration.
The decision is based on the fact that the trademark includes the word ‘Zatecky,’ an adjective derived from ‘Zatec,’ which is a well-known beer-producing town in the Czech Republic. The PTO therefore concluded that the trademark could mislead the consumers as to the beer’s country of origin.
Baltika Breweries, based in Saint Petersburg, Russia, argued that its reputation would prevent consumers from being misled and that the average consumer lacks sufficient knowledge of geography and the brewing industry to establish the association with the Czech town.
Baltika Breweries, part of the Carlsberg Group, is the largest brewery in Eastern Europe and Russia’s beer market leader with a 40-percent market share. It owns over 40 brands, exports its products to over 70 countries and contributes to 70 percent of Russia’s beer exports.
Prepared by: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)
September 2012 News
- Russia’s Presence in Montenegro: What It Means for Trademark Owners
- Bulgaria: No Proof of Malice, No Bad Faith
- IKEA Sues Russian Resident for Trademark Infringement
- Russian Court Rules in Favor of Scottish Soft Drink Manufacturer AG Barr
- French Champagne Producer Loses Rights to Cristal Trademark in Russia
- Largest Russian Brewery Denied ‘Zatecky Gus’ Trademark Registration
- Change in Individual Fee under Madrid Protocol for Tajikistan
- Czech Republic: Average Patent-Processing Period 3.3 Years for Domestic Applicants
- New Fees for Eurasian Patent Maintenance in Russia
- EAPATIS Modified to Improve Search Process
- Azerbaijan: 95 Percent of Plagiarized Textbooks University Material
- Romanian Customs Seize Fake Gucci, Versace, XerJoff, FC Barcelona Goods
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel, Footwear, Batteries
- Bulgarian Customs Destroy Counterfeit Apparel, Perfumes, Batteries