Sunrise Period for Russian Cyrillic Domain Ends Mid-September
The sunrise period for the registration of the Russian Cyrillic .РФ domain names is underway, ending on September 16, 2010. From November 25, 2009 to March 25, 2010 the Russian Federation allowed priority registration on behalf of Russian state authorities. From March 25 to May 12, 2010, trademark owners whose trademarks (word elements) contained Russian Cyrillic were able to submit applications.
On May 12, 2010, the registration became available to all trademark owners. On July 15, 2010 several new categories of users were added:
- Exclusive owners of company names, officially registered in Russia,
- Exclusive owners of geographical indications of origin;
- Non-profit organizations officially registered Russia;
- Mass media owners officially registered in Russia before May 12, 2010.
For trademark owners, the application for priority registration should be submitted with a copy of the trademark certificate and a copy of the legal entity certificate or an entrepreneur registration certificate. If the application is based on an international trademark registration, a certificate showing that the registration is valid in Russia should also be submitted.
It is possible to register a domain name corresponding to a trademark that is not written in Russian Cyrillic. In this case, the non-Russian Cyrillic trademark or part of the trademark may be transcribed or transliterated, at the discretion of the trademark owner, into Russian Cyrillic.
In case a trademark name includes endings such as “.RU” or “.COM”, etc. or their transliteration (“.РУ”, “.КОМ”, etc.), the rights holder may exclude the endings from a domain name. The spaces in the word element can also be deleted or replaced with hyphens.
For example, a trademark holder of “ABCD.RU” can register the following domain names:
According to DomainNews.com, around 15,000 domain names have already been registered and it is expected that there will be more than 50,000 domain names registered by mid-September. In late 2010, the .РФ domain names will be available to the general public throughout the world.
More information on the priority registration rules and procedures is available here.
Source: Russian Coordination Center
July 2010 News
- Russian Couple Arrested in EUR 1 Billion Film Piracy Case
- American Photography Student to Sue Polish Clothing Label for Copyright Infringement
- Moldova Adopts New Law on Copyright and Neighboring Rights
- Serbia Ratifies European Patent Convention
- Serbia Adopts Five New IP Regulations
- Estonia Gets US Patent, Its First Since Seceding from Soviet Union
- Sunrise Period for Russian Cyrillic Domain Ends Mid-September
- Croatia Announces New Administrative Procedures for Domain Names
- Bulgaria Proposes Four New Cyrillic Domain Names
- Russia, Kazakhstan, and Belarus Launch Customs Union
- Romanian Customs Seize Puma, Adidas, Nike, Disney Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Nike, Adidas, Puma, Diesel Counterfeits
- Macedonian Customs Detain Counterfeit Bags, Shoes, Apparel
- Poor Enforcement of Copyright Law Blamed for Poor Copyright Protection in Macedonia
- Hungarian Police Seize 58 Computer Servers in Anti-Online-Piracy Raid
- Music Piracy Still Thriving in Serbia
- USPTO Launches PPH with HPO on July 1, To Launch PPH with Rospatent on September 1
- Serbia Ratifies Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks
- Ukraine and WIPO Sign Cooperation Program for 2010-2012
- Uzbekistan SPO Announces New Bank Details for Patent Fee Payment