Alibaba Group Sues Ukrainian Citizen for Trademark Infringement
Alibaba Group Holding Limited, the world’s largest e-commerce company which operates e-commerce portals such as Alibaba, Taobao, and Aliexpress, recently filed a civil lawsuit in a Kyiv district court against a Ukrainian national, Kostiantyn Velychko, owner of the ALIEXPRESS trademark in Ukraine, registered in 2013 in class 35 covering advertising, business management, business administration, and office functions.
Alibaba Group requests recognition of ALIEXPRESS’s well-known status, invalidation of Mr. Velychko’s certificate of registration, and entry of the corresponding information into the Official Bulletin.
The first hearing is scheduled for April 18, 2017.
Prepared by: Olga Goncharova and Dina Petošević
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Sources: Ukrainian business news website Ekonomichna Pravda; Ukrainian Official Register of Court Decisions
February 2017 News
- The Challenges of Resolving Ukrainian Third-Level Domain Name Disputes
- Rospatent and EPO Launch Joint Patent Prosecution Highway
- Poland Joins Global Patent Prosecution Highway
- Russian IP Court Issues Interesting Decision Concerning Use of Third Party Trademarks
- Alibaba Group Sues Ukrainian Citizen for Trademark Infringement
- Major Brand Owners Urge European Commission to Tackle Counterfeiting
- Ukrainian Police Seize Counterfeit Household Chemicals
- Macedonian Customs Office Organizes IP Rights Protection Courses
- Slovak Customs Seize EUR 490,000 Worth of Counterfeit Bed Linen
- Serbian Customs Seize Over Four Tons of Fake Apparel
- PETOŠEVIĆ Successfully Represents Client in Serbian Lookalike Case