Pastry Shops in Croatia Targeted Over Infringing Cake Designs
According to various online sources, a number of pastry shops in Croatia have recently received copyright infringement notices from Croatian pastry maker Fun Cake Factory lawyers due to the unauthorized use of Disney cartoon and movie characters as cake decorations.
Fun Cake Factory is the exclusive partner of British Finsbury Food Group, the holder of the Disney license, and apparently the only company in Croatia that can sell cakes with decorations such as Mickey Mouse and Peppa Pig.
“Our company is the exclusive partner of the Group [Finsbury Food Group], which means that we must abide by strict regulations and standards set by Disney,” Tomislav Ljutic, the CEO of Fun Cake Factory stated.
“Specifically, they [Finsbury and Disney] set us conditions that everything on the cake is within strict limits, from the font of the text to the color of the characters,” he added.
In addition to Disney characters, the Croatian cake maker has reportedly secured the rights to use Nickelodeon, Astley Baker Davies and Universal Studios characters, which covers most popular cartoons.
The Croatian pastry shops have stated that Fun Cake Factory refused to disclose the contract it signed with Finsbury, meaning that the shops do not know exactly which characters are protected. Some shops are also worried that the ban may negatively affect their earnings, as children’s cakes with cartoon characters are very popular.
Fun Cake Factory is also present in Austria, Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, and it will soon enter Serbia, so these markets may be affected as well.
Prepared by: Jelena Jankovic
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: TorrentFreak; Independent.mk; Balkaninsight.com; Jutarnji.hr
January 2016 News
- Romania to Abolish Ex Officio Examination of Relative Grounds?
- Slovenia Amends Unfair Competition Legislation
- MEDICRIME Convention Enters into Force in Ukraine
- Ukraine Drafting Amendments to Customs Code
- New Industrial Property Institutions and Procedures Act Enters into Force in Latvia
- 1,231 Trademarks Registered in Estonia in 2015
- Turkmenistan Accedes to Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Industrial Designs
- Pastry Shops in Croatia Targeted Over Infringing Cake Designs
- Russian Police Arrest Counterfeit Motor Oil Gang
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Fake Perfume
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 3M Worth of Counterfeits
- Lithuania PTO to Publish IP Gazette Twice a Month