Amendments to Macedonian Law on Customs Measures Enter into Force
The amendments to the Macedonian Law on Customs Measures for Protection of Intellectual Property Rights came into force on May 14, 2013.
The most significant novelty is that the seized counterfeit textile goods and footwear may be donated to socially disadvantaged people and residents of regions affected by natural disasters.
The law prescribes that the goods can be donated only upon the trademark owner’s consent and the removal of the trademark from the goods. The competent authority will also have to confirm that the goods meet safety requirements.
The costs of transport, warehousing and trademark removal will be covered by the state. The procedure will be conducted under the supervision of the trademark representative and customs officials.
If it is not possible to remove the trademark without permanently damaging the goods and if the trademark owner does not approve the donation, the goods will be destroyed.
The amendments also foresee fines for repeat offenders ranging from EUR 2,500-5,000 (USD 3,300-6,500) for legal persons and EUR 500-1,000 (USD 650-1,300) for natural persons. The fines will be imposed in case of exporting or importing counterfeited goods bearing a trademark that was subject to a previous seizure in which the same legal or natural entity was involved.
By: Zivka Kostovska-Stojkovska
For more information, please contact Zivka Kostovska-Stojkovska at our Macedonia office.
June 2013 News
- Amendments to Macedonian Law on Customs Measures Enter into Force
- Red Bull Wins Trademark Lawsuit against Bulgarian Soft Drinks Producer
- Ukrainian Parliament Publishes Text of EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- EU and Moldova Conclude DCFTA Negotiations
- Croatia Signs Agreements with OHIM Ahead of EU Accession
- Russia to Adopt New Anti-Piracy Law
- Estonian Internet Foundation Prepares Plan to Increase Popularity of .EE Domain
- Russian Police Bust Fake Chanel Shoe Sweatshop
- Serbian Customs Seize Counterfeit Perfumes, Toys
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Towels, Balls, Toys
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Perfumes