Ukraine Opposes Logo-Free Cigarette Packaging
Yuridicheskaya Praktika, a Ukrainian legal newspaper, reports that the World Trade Organization (WTO) will consider the formal complaint Ukraine filed earlier this year against the Australian law that sets new requirements for the design of cigarette packs.
The law, expected to enter into force on December 1, 2012, will make Australia the first country in the world to introduce plain cigarette packaging devoid of manufacturers’ logos.
According to the law, cigarettes will be sold in standardized packets with brand names written in a uniform font. Health warnings and graphic images of diseases caused by smoking will cover at least 75 percent of the front of the pack and at least 90 percent of the back.
Ukraine is one of several countries that filed complaints against Australia arguing that the logo-free cigarette packaging undermines trademark owners’ rights.
Several major cigarette manufacturers have sued the Australian government for taking away their intellectual property rights. They are also arguing that the uniform, plain packaging will make cigarettes easier to counterfeit and smuggle and therefore will not help reduce tobacco use and tobacco-related illnesses and deaths.
Prepared by: Maya Kryvoshei
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: Yuridicheskaya Praktika, a Ukrainian legal newspaper
October 2012 News
- Russian Businessman Registers Tymoshenko Braid Lollipop Trademark
- Russian Appellate Court Overturns Previous Decisions against SKYY Spirits
- Slovenia to Amend Copyright Law
- Slovenian Pumpkin Seed Oil Gets GI Status Despite Austria’s Objections
- Kosovo Adopts Strategy to Combat Counterfeiting and Piracy
- EC Commends Serbia’s Progress in IP Area
- Ukraine Opposes Logo-Free Cigarette Packaging
- Albanian Customs Seize, Destroy Counterfeit Sneakers, Apparel
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 0.5 M Worth of Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Speakers, Apparel, Perfumes
- Macedonian Customs Seize Fake Apparel, Footwear, Eaux de Toilette
- Kyrgyzstan to Join Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus Customs Union
- Serbian Customs Introduces Electronic Submission of IPR Protection Requests
- Romania Fights Software Piracy
- Czech IPO and USPTO Launch Pilot Patent Prosecution Highway Program
- Hungarian and Korean IPOs Sign Patent Prosecution Highway Agreement
- Ukraine Bans Tobacco Advertising
- OHIM Brings Videoconferencing to Slovak PTO