Estonian File-Sharing Website Owner Fined for Copyright Infringement
The Estonian Pärnu County Court found Raido Käärid, the owner of the file-sharing website eestitorrent.com, guilty of copyright infringement.
Käärid was fined EUR 645 (USD 945) and was found guilty of illegally distributing Estonian and foreign movies and music, as well as recording and distributing TV shows broadcast on Estonian channels via his website.
The highest penalty in Estonia for illegal reproduction and distribution of commercial material is three years imprisonment.
For more information, please contact Aleksandra Pavlovic at our Macedonia office.
Source: ERR News — Estonian Public Broadcasting
June 2011 News
- Deadline for Re-Registration of Serbian Trademarks in Montenegro Approaching
- Official Fee for Customs Watch Applications Waived in Macedonia
- Turkmenistan Drafting Law on Unfair Competition
- Polish Police Arrest Counterfeit Viagra Gang
- Moldovan Police Put End to Fake Newspaper Scam
- Change in Individual Fee Under Madrid Protocol for Georgia
- Estonian File-Sharing Website Owner Fined for Copyright Infringement
- Macedonian Customs Destroy Adidas, D&G, Louis Vuitton Counterfeits
- Kosovo Customs Destroy Nike Counterfeits
- Macedonian Customs Detain Counterfeit T-shirts, Swimsuits, Filters
- Romanian Customs Seize Disney, Adidas, Nike, Gucci Counterfeits
- Serbian Customs Detain Dior Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Fake Barcelona and Chelsea Shorts
- Bosnian Authorities Seize 15,000 Pirated Discs
- Ukraine: Software Piracy Level Decreases in Computer Shops, Increases in Service Centers
- Georgian Authors Society to Monitor Audio-Video Stores and Piracy Websites
- Azerbaijani Government Signs Agreement With Microsoft to Use Licensed Software
- Tajikistan Accedes to WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty
- Russia to Establish New Federal IP Service
- Kazakh PTO Launches Online Application System
- U.S. Helps Tajikistan Publish Trilingual IP Dictionary
- Progress of IP Reforms in Armenia Main Topic of EU-Armenia Seminar