Sochi 2014 Polar Bear Mascot Center of Copyright Dispute
Russian artist Viktor Chizhikov is claiming that the polar bear chosen as one of the three mascots for the XXII Olympic Winter Games, taking place in Sochi, southwestern Russia, in February 2014, is a copy of the Mishka bear cub he created for the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow.
Last month, during a live national television broadcast, the Russian public chose three mascots – a rabbit, a leopard and the controversial polar bear. Following the vote, the creator of the Mishka bear (left) from the 1980 Olympics publicly stated the polar bear (right) was a copy of his mascot.
“It’s exactly the same as mine: the eyes, the nose, the mouth, the smile, though it’s askew,” Viktor Chizhikov stated. “I don’t like it when people steal, the author always feels it especially painfully”, he added.
The Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee has released a statement denying copyright infringement accusations.
For more information, please contact Jelena Jankovic at our Balkan Regional Office.
March 2011 News
- Ukraine to Adopt Amendments to Copyright Law
- Macedonia Adopts Amendments to Industrial Property Law
- Polish PTO Invalidates Unilever’s Trademark
- Rospatent Rejects 'Putin-Medvedev' Vodka Trademark
- Nestle Sues Russian Beverage Distributor Over Parallel Import
- Georgia Fights for Right to Sell Stalin's Favorite Wine in US
- Slovenian IPO Issues Statements of Grant of Protection for International Trademarks
- ICANN Approves Ukrainian Cyrillic .укр Domain
- Sochi 2014 Polar Bear Mascot Center of Copyright Dispute
- Kazakhstan New Regulations on Protection of Unpublished Works
- Russia to Get International Patent for Space Monitoring System Against Natural Catastrophes
- Croatia Follows World Trend in Patent Applications Increase
- First Counterfeit Goods Seized, Destroyed in Kosovo
- US Places Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine Markets on Top Pirates List
- Hungary Toughens Regulations on Counterfeit Drugs
- Macedonian Customs Detain Counterfeit Apparel, Sneakers, Perfumes
- Romanian Customs Seize Adidas, Puma, Nike, Gucci Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Chanel, Gucci, Hugo Boss Counterfeits
- Microsoft, BSA Train Albania Copyright Office Inspectors on Illegal Software
- Belarusian National Television Airs Pirated Copy of “The Hurt Locker”
- Albanian Authorities Seize 2,000 CDs, DVDs
- EPO President Visits Albania, Bulgaria
- WIPO: Kyrgyzstan Leader in IP in Central Asia