Georgian Wines Get GI Status in EU
On July 29, 2010, the EU and Georgia signed an agreement according to which wine companies in the EU will have to respect 18 geographical indications on Georgian wines.
The protected Georgian wines include Khvanchkara, Tsinandali, Kindzmarauli, Saperavi, Mukuzani and Akhasheni.
Georgian winemakers reoriented their sales to Western markets after Russia imposed an import ban on Georgian wine in 2006, claiming it did not fulfill Russia’s health standards.
In return, Georgian wine producers agree not to sell sparkling wine labeled as Champagne and other EU wines with the GI status on their domestic market.
The agreement is part of EU’s strategy to export its GI system via agreements with non-EU countries. The goal is to protect EU’s best-known products from copycats, which are primarily found in emerging markets.
For more information, please contact Jelena Jankovic at our Balkan Regional Office.
August 2010 News
- Kosovo Law on Customs Measures to be Implemented
- Bosnia Adopts Two Copyright Draft Laws
- Serbia to join EPO on October 1
- European Court of Justice Rejects Anheuser-Busch's Bid to Register Budweiser as Its Trademark in EU
- Facebook Captures Montenegro’s Facebook.me from Cybersquatter
- Forbes Finally Gets Forbes.ru in Russia
- Czech Arbitration Court Rules Against Serbian Underwear Producer in Domain Name Dispute
- Russian Publisher Fined USD 250M in Copyright Case
- Georgian Wines Get GI Status in EU
- Serbian Public Broadcaster to Pay EUR 1.3M to Copyright Protection Organization
- EU Issues Annual Report on Customs IPR Enforcement
- Macedonian Customs Detain Armani, Prada, Gucci Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Hello Kitty, Levi’s, Fred Perry Counterfeits
- Bulgarian Police Seize Counterfeit Goods, Infringers Face Imprisonment
- Romanian Customs Seize Chanel, Prada, Puma, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Adidas Counterfeits
- Macedonian Broadcasting Council Publishes Operators’ Program Packages to Protect Copyrights
- Moldovan IPO Updates IP Services List
- Serbia Adopts New Trade Law