Mediation Mandatory in Romania as of March 3, 2010
As of March 3, 2010 mediation will become mandatory in Romania for all civil disputes and simple criminal cases. The legal basis for mediation in Romania has existed since 2006, but the lawyers and the courts tended to overlook this possibility, as it wasn’t mandatory.
The parties involved in the dispute will be obligated to try to resolve the issue through mediation before turning to court. If the trial has already been initiated, they may request suspension thereof for a maximum of three months in order to try to settle the case through mediation. If the parties bring the case to court directly, the judges will require that they try mediation first and settle the issue in court only if mediation fails.
Although this measure was mainly enforced to ease the courts’ caseloads, it is also advantageous for the parties involved in disputes, as it is shorter and less complex and costly.
For more information, please contact Roxana Sarghi in our Romania office.
Source: Romanian media
February 2010 News
- Macedonia IPO Changes Official Fees
- Russian Antitrust Commission Bans Chocolates Similar to Ferrero Rocher
- Russian Cyrillic Domain Passes ICANN String Evaluation
- New Trademark Law Enters into Force in Slovakia
- Slovenian Government Appoints New PTO Director
- Mediation Mandatory in Romania as of March 3, 2010
- New Regulation Regarding Registration and Use of Montenegro Domain
- Montenegro Begins to Issue Certificates of Registration for Trademarks
- Serbian IPO Opens Center for IP Information and Education
- Montenegrin IPO Launches the First IP Gazette
- Bulgaria with Highest Piracy Rates in the EU
- Twenty-Five Percent of Russian Software Outlets Sell Counterfeit Microsoft Programs
- Ten Percent of Car Parts in Romania Counterfeit
- Kyrgyzstan Patent Applications for Inventions Increase in 2009
- Bulgarian Snack Food Company Fined Over Misleading TV Commercial
- Macedonian Media Demand End to Unauthorized Republishing of News
- Bulgarian Police Seize Illegal Computer Software From a Design Company
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Footwear, Apparel
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 160,000 Worth of Counterfeit Goods
- Latvia’s PTO Establishes Free Trademark Database
- Macedonia Accedes to Patent Law Treaty
- Lithuanian Inventor Patents a Physiotherapeutic Table
- Bosnia Delegation Visits Croatian IPO as Part of USAID Project