French Champagne Producer Defends its Right to Cristal Trademark in Russia
French champagne producer Louis Roederer can continue to sell its Cristal champagne in Russia after it won a decision against the Russian vodka manufacturer Soyuzplodoimport.
Although Roederer obtained an international registration for Cristal in 1949 and a national registration in Russia in 1995, in April 2009, the Chamber of Patent Disputes ruled that Roederer’ Cristal infringed on Soyuzplodoimport’s vodka brand Kristal, which was registered in Russia in 1974.
Soyuzplodoimport argued that Roederer’s Cristal trademark registration should be cancelled because it is confusingly similar to its Kristal brand.
The court ruled that Soyuzplodoimport had missed the period for challenging Cristal’s trademark registration, which is five years from the date the trademark registration was granted.
On October 26, 2009, the Moscow Arbitration Court reversed this ruling and affirmed the legal protection of Cristal in Russia.
For more information, please contact Jelena Jankovic at Balkan Regional Office.
December 2009 News
- Four New Laws to Enter into Force in Serbia by the New Year
- Russian Gangs Make Millions by Selling Fake Tamiflu Online
- French Champagne Producer Defends its Right to Cristal Trademark in Russia
- Estonian Software Pirate to Pay EUR 100.000 in Damages to Five Software Companies
- Trademarks and Geographical Denominations Gazette Issued in Azerbaijan
- Ukrainian Cyrillic Domain to Start Operating by March 2010
- Romanian Customs Seize 20 Tons of Fake Perfume
- Bulgarian Alcohol Producer Fined for Unfair Competition
- Bulgarian Company Fined for Trade Dress Infringement and Unfair Competition
- Microsoft Launches Anti-Piracy Program in Russia
- Macedonian Police Seize Counterfeit Alcoholic Drinks
- Bulgarians Arrested in Moscow On Piracy Charges
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Goods
- Bulgarian Police Seize Pirated Software, Films and Music
- Russia’s Textile Industry Grows After Shutdown of Counterfeit Goods Market
- European Patent Extension to Montenegro Expected Soon