Kazakhstan Amends Official Language Legislation
Legislative amendments concerning the status and use of two official languages in Kazakhstan, Kazakh and Russian, entered into force on January 11, 2022.
Amendments to the Law on Languages
Under the recent amendments, signboards of privately owned companies and organizations, as well as their announcements, advertisements, forms, price lists, price tags, menus, signs and other visual information no longer need to be in both Kazakh and Russian languages. They now need to be in Kazakh only, but may also be in Russian and/or other languages if this is necessary under certain circumstances. Trademarks protected in Kazakhstan which are used in signboards of non-governmental organizations should remain unchanged and do not need to be translated.
Amendments to the Law on Public Health and Healthcare System
While language requirements were not previously defined, it is now mandatory to use both Kazakh and Russian languages on:
- Labels applied to medication packaging and on the document that provides information about the medicine and its use; and
- Labels applied either directly to medical products or to their packaging and on instructions for their use (this applies to any instruments, devices, equipment, materials and other items used in medical facilities).
Amendments to the Law on Advertising
It is no longer mandatory to distribute advertisements in both Kazakh and Russian, but only in Kazakh, while the ads may also be in Russian and/or other languages at the discretion of the advertiser. This rule does not apply to the ads in printed publications, on the Internet and those used by news agencies, which must be in both official languages.
Prepared by: Malika Bexultan
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: Kazakh online legal portal online.zakon.kz
April 2022 News
- IP Deadlines under Martial Law in Ukraine
- Uzbekistan Adopts Law on Geographical Indications
- Hungary Amends SPC Regulations
- Kazakhstan Amends Official Language Legislation
- Hungarian IPO Clarifies Deadline Extensions in Trademark Procedures
- Serbian Customs Detain Fake Apparel, Footwear, Accessories, Labels
- Important Notice Concerning Deadlines in IP Matters before the Ukrainian IPO