Ukrainian Hosiery Manufacturer Fined for Unfair Competition
The Ukrainian Antimonopoly Committee has recently imposed a fine of approximately EUR 1,500 (USD 1,750) on the Ukrainian pantyhose manufacturer Anita Ko LLC for violating the Ukrainian competition protection legislation by using a confusingly similar packaging design as its competitor. Belarusian hosiery manufacturer Conte SPA JLLC initiated the proceedings, claiming that Anita Ko LLC designed the packaging for its legwear products as a copy of Conte’s packaging.
Anita Ko LLC was registered in Ukraine in 2016, while Conte SPA JLLC has been selling hosiery in Ukraine with the unique packaging under the Conte® trademark since 2014. Conte® products also have a STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® label that identifies textiles that were tested for harmful substances. While the confusingly similar packaging also bore the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® label, there was no record of Anita Ko LLC in the OEKO-TEX register of certified companies.
The Antimonopoly Committee recognized the existence of similar colors, photos, symbols, and other figurative elements, confirmed that the similarities between two packaging designs were sufficient to mislead consumers with respect to the manufacturer, and ordered Anita Ko LLC to stop using the deceptive packaging.
Prepared by: Valentyna Martynenko
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Ukrainian Antimonopoly Committee website
September 2020 News
- Ukraine Amends Patent Law
- Belarus Amends Law on Geographical Indications
- Ukrainian Hosiery Manufacturer Fined for Unfair Competition
- Ukrainian Officials Shut Down Production and Online Sale of Fake Spirits
- Hungarian Officials Halt Home Production of Fake Apparel
- Serbian Customs Seize Fake Apparel, Authenticity Certificates
- How Brexit Will Impact Your IP Rights
- Ukraine Amends Trademark Law
- Ukraine Amends Industrial Design Law
- Owners of Romanian TMs and IRs Designating Romania Invited to Specify the Scope of Goods and Services by September 30
- Croatian IPO Amends Official Fee Structure
- Hungarian Officials Shut Down Illegal Streaming Service