Tablet Computers Protected Under Design Patent in Ukraine
On March 11, 2013, the Ukrainian PTO granted four design patents to Ukrainian resident Dmytro Volodymyrovych Goliusov and one design patent to his brother Kyrylo Volodymyrovych Goliusov. Three of these design patents protect tablet computers.
Aside from tablet computers, the Goliusov brothers hold design patents for screw nails, retaining caps and respirator masks.
In accordance with the current legislation, if the IP rights covered by design patents are recorded in the customs register, companies wishing to import such products into Ukraine have to get an authorization from the IP rights owner.
Such cases are not rare in Ukraine. There is no substantive examination of design applications. For this reason, the local PTO grants design patents if the application meets the formal requirements.
A few months ago, we reported on a similar case ñ clothes hangers becoming protected by a design patent.
Prepared by: Maya Kryvoshei
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Intelvlas, Ukrainian IP news portal
April 2013 News
- Draft Law Amending Civil Code to Impact IP Regulations in Russia
- Albania Improves Domain Name Procedures and Purchase Requirements
- Tablet Computers Protected Under Design Patent in Ukraine
- Albanian Parliament Approves Draft Law on Accession to London Agreement
- EAPO Abolishes Accelerated Examination of Patent Applications
- Bosnia Accedes to Lisbon Agreement
- Bosnia Accedes to Lisbon Act and Additional Act of Stockholm
- Romania's Anti-Piracy Campaign Results in 313 Criminal Cases
- Draft Amendments to Macedonian Customs Law Foresee Donation of Seized Counterfeit Apparel
- Hungarian Customs Seize Fake Cigarette Machine
- Number of Customs Detentions Increase in Slovenia in 2012
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 1.2 M Worth of Counterfeits
- Macedonian Customs Seize Fake Hairspray, Apparel
- Bosnian Customs Seize Counterfeit Adidas, Armani Labels
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Counterfeit Apparel