Montenegro: National Trademark Applications Now Published for Opposition
On December 20, the Montenegro IPO issued its seventh Official Gazette, the first one that includes national trademark applications published for opposition, under the provisions of the new trademark law of December 2010.
The first six Gazettes were in line with the old trademark law, under which only the registered trademarks were published.
The new trademark law abolished the previous practice of substantive examination on relative grounds and introduced the opposition proceedings. A trademark application is now examined on absolute grounds only and if it meets the requirements for registration, it is published in the Official Gazette. Third parties have 90 days from the date of publication to file a written opposition.
The Montenegro IPO does not publish the international registrations (IR) for opposition. The WIPO’s publication of the IR is considered to be the publication of the trademark application in Montenegro, i.e. it is treated as if it were published in the Montenegro IPO’s Gazette. The opposition against the IR is filed with the local IPO within 90 days from the WIPO’s date of publication.
For more information, please contact Jasna Jusic Paovic at our Montenegro office.
Source: Montenegro IPO
Read more news on Montenegro or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
December 2011 News
- Montenegro: National Trademark Applications Now Published for Opposition
- Budapest to Become Home to Patent Judge Training Center?
- Largest Russian Brewery Denied Trademark Registration
- Changes in Individual Fee Under Hague Agreement for Hungary
- Montenegro Accedes to Geneva Act, Vienna Agreement
- Estonia Reduces Fee for .ee Domain Name Registration
- Macedonian Customs Seize Counterfeit Clothes, Cell Phones, Pills
- Romanian Customs Seize Counterfeit Toys, Cologne Sets, Apparel
- Bulgarian Customs Seize Fake Perfumes
- Quarter of Russian Internet Users Have Paid for Online Video
- EU Advisory Group Evaluates Armenia’s IP Strategy Implementation, Provides Recommendations
- Azerbaijan to Establish Center for IP Rights