Kazakhstan To Join WTO in Early 2015
The World Trade Organization (WTO) Director-General Roberto Azevedo recently announced that Kazakhstan’s accession negotiations are in the final stage and that he expects the General Council to formally decide on Kazakhstan’s WTO accession in the beginning of 2015.
The United States recently expressed its support for Kazakhstan’s WTO membership and its plans to strengthen the economic cooperation between the two countries.
The EU’s direct investments in Kazakhstan from 1993-2013 were about USD 87 billion (EUR 71 billion). Kazakhstan’s main investors are the Netherlands, Great Britain, Italy and France. Last year the bilateral trade between Kazakhstan and the EU reached USD 53 billion (EUR 43 billion), which was more than 40 percent of Kazakhstan’s total trade turnover. In the first half of 2014, it exceeded USD 28 billion (EUR 23 billion), which is 45 percent of the country’s total trade turnover.
Kazakhstan has been working to join the WTO since 1996, but the negotiation process and the harmonization of laws took longer than initially projected.
Prepared by: Masa Lopicic
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Source: Reuters, The Astana Times
Read more news on Kazakhstan or . Get our latest IP news or browse IP News Eastern Europe Archives.
December 2014 News
- Russia Joins DesignView
- Armenian Domain Name in Local Script Passes ICANN String Evaluation
- Authorities Shut Down 292 Websites Selling Counterfeits
- Authorities Bust Drug Counterfeiters Operating in Austria, Hungary, Great Britain
- Romanian Customs Seize EUR 360,000 Worth of Counterfeits
- Hungarian Customs Seize EUR 71,000 Worth of Counterfeit Sweaters
- EC: Serbia Made Moderate Progress in IP Area in 2014
- Kazakhstan To Join WTO in Early 2015
- New Food Labeling Rules Enter into Force in EU