PETOŠEVIĆ PEOPLE: Q&A with Predrag Anokić
On his 11-year anniversary in the firm, we talked to Predrag Anokić, our Chief Operations Officer based in our Belgrade office. Predrag joined the firm as an associate and got to know the firm and the IP field inside and out before transitioning to his current role in 2017. We asked Predrag about the strangest task he had in his IP career, about his pet peeve and much more.
- What did you just finish doing before starting to answer this questionnaire, and what will you do afterwards?
I just had coffee! Waiting for it to kick in!
- How come you started a career in the IP field?
By accident, actually. I finished law school and started looking for a job. I saw an opening at the Serbian PTO and sent in my CV without expecting to be hired. To my big surprise, I got the job.
- What makes IP protection challenging in your jurisdiction (and how do you overcome that challenge)?
Although awareness of IP protection has improved significantly over the last couple of years, you still need to go an extra mile to win a case. Therefore, I try to always keep this in mind and invest additional effort wherever and whenever possible.
- What do you most enjoy doing at work?
Chasing deadlines! I am joking of course. I like the investigative part of the work very much. You really need to be creative on certain occasions to get the information you need.
- What would you be working in, if you weren’t working in IP?
Tourism. I am dreaming about having a couple of apartments in Greece.
- What was the strangest job you’ve ever had?
In IP? I had to argue that a bottle shape is not common and is therefore inherently distinctive for various sex toys.
- What is your favorite thing to do when you are not working?
Driving a car and listening to music.
- What book did you read last?
Huh, it was a really long time ago. In the past 5 years I’ve mostly read children’s literature (to my kids).
- What is your favorite song at the moment?
I do not have a favorite. I never skip Sean Paul on the radio though.
- If you had to eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Hmm, pizza definitely.
- What was your favorite subject in school and why?
I was generally good at social sciences.
- Tell us three things most people don’t know about you.
I like to keep secrets.
- Tell us your top three life highlights.
I have two small kids, so I am waiting for them to grow up a bit to start looking for the other two highlights.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
Buy property in Greece!
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
Parking my car! It’s very hard to find a place to park in Belgrade.
- What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years?
To be patient.
- What do you wish you could have told yourself at age 13?
I do not have such wishes. I doubt I would have listened even to myself at that point.
- What cities/countries have you lived in?
Only in Serbia!
- If you could live in another country of the 30+ countries where PETOŠEVIĆ operates, which would you pick and why?
I think it would be Sarajevo, in Bosnia and Herzegovina. I was there a few times and always felt great. People are very friendly and easy going. For some reason, it felt like home.
- If someone came to your city for 24 hours, where would you take them?
To one of the rivers. I grew up next to the Danube in my home town, so the rivers are my favorite places in Belgrade as well.
Read more PETOŠEVIĆ People interviews.