PETOŠEVIĆ PEOPLE: Q&A with Dimitar Batakliev
After working as a lawyer at the Bulgarian Patent Office for five years, Dimitar Batakliev joined our Sofia team in 2014, which he has led as Head of Office since 2017. Dimitar’s practice focuses on contentious trademark matters and the protection of IP rights on social media and the Internet. We asked Dimitar about his work, the music he likes, his pet peeves, and much more.
1. How come you started a career in the IP field?
I was recommended a PhD course in IP by a university professor whom I approached for advice about my future after graduation. That naturally led to a career in the field of IP.
2. What makes IP protection challenging in your jurisdiction (and how do you overcome that challenge)?
Lack of sound and consistent practice on all levels. We rely on the strength of good reasoning.
3. What do you most enjoy doing at work?
Creative efforts in legal documents often result in hilarious texts. We often joke about them in the office.
4. What would you be working in, if you weren’t working in IP?
5. What was the strangest job you’ve ever had?
6. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not working?
Spending time with friends.
7. What book did you read last?
‘Self-Exposure’ by the art photographer Ralph Gibson.
8. What is your favorite song at the moment?
I recently discovered boogaloo and find it very entertaining. ‘Eso Se Baila Así’ by Willie Colón.
9. If you had to eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Not a very good idea – that would be rather limiting.
10. If you could meet anyone in the world, from the past or present, who would it be and why?
Ralph Gibson (see answer to question 7) for being very inspiring. I already chatted with him on Skype.
11. What was your favorite subject in school and why?
Russian language, because of the teacher.
12. Tell us three things most people don’t know about you.
If there is something people don’t know about me, it is meant to be like that!
13. Tell us three moments or events that have been turning points in your life.
My work-related turning points have been choosing law, choosing IP, and choosing PETOŠEVIĆ.
14. What would you do if you won the lottery?
I would buy the lottery.
15. What is your biggest pet peeve?
One of my biggest pet peeves is mediocrity.
16. What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years?
Forcing myself to assume responsibility when needed.
17. What do you wish you could have told yourself at age 13?
18. What cities/countries have you lived in?
I have lived in Sofia, Chicago and Munich.
19. If you could live in another country of the 30+ countries where PETOŠEVIĆ operates, which would you pick and why?
Hungary, because I like Budapest.
20. If someone came to your city for 24 hours, where would you take them?
Out of the city.
Read more PETOŠEVIĆ People interviews.