- Group Executive Chairman
- Trademark & Patent Agent
- European Patent Attorney
Slobodan’s practice ranges through all areas of intellectual property and primarily concentrates on patent law and enforcement of IP rights. He represents clients in both contentious and non-contentious matters and negotiates settlements.
As a specialist for the Western Balkan countries, he worked on EU funded projects such as the EU Phare Project, the objective of which was to upgrade and harmonize intellectual property rights in Romania and to strengthen the implementing authorities responsible for intellectual property protection. During the EU Phare Project Slobodan worked on harmonization of the Romanian Patent and Plant Variety laws.
In 2008, he worked on the project funded by the U.S. Trade and Development Agency (USTDA), to help Serbian IPO restructure and develop new operational protocols for processing patents and trademarks.
In 2015, Slobodan participated in an EU-funded project aiming to improve the capacity of the Institute for Intellectual Property of Bosnia and Herzegovina by establishing centers for information and education.
- Serbia & Montenegro, 1989
Native Serbian (similar to Bosnian, Croatian, Macedonian, Montenegrin and Slovenian), fluent English, French and proficient in German.
- King's College, London, UK; UK, European and US Law on Copyright and Related Rights, 2000-2003
- Birch, Stewart, Kolasch & Birch, Virginia, USA; Certificate in Intellectual Property Protection Course in the USA, 1990
- Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, Serbia, LLB, 1989
- “IP Rights and Social Networks,” ASIPI Panel on Challenges of IP Protection on Social Networks, Cuba, March 19, 2013
- "Trademarks in Southeast Europe – What does the future hold?", PETOŠEVIĆ Webinar on Effect of EU Enlargement on Trademark Practice in Southeast Europe, BrightTALK, July 25, 2012
- “Estimating the Value of IP in Litigation”, UNECE Training for Judges in Macedonia, Academy for Judges and Prosecutors, Skopje, Macedonia, September 25, 2012
- "Enforcement Strategy in the Balkans", PETOŠEVIĆ Webinar on Enforcement Strategy in Eastern Europe, BrightTALK, December 1, 2010
- "The Changing Landscape of Patents in Eastern Europe," New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), IP Section Annual Meeting, New York, NY, January 27, 2009
“EU-Ukraine IPR Dialogue Addresses Main Issues”. IPFrontline. IP.com. (November 20, 2015)
“The Patent Landscape in Eastern Europe”. The Patent Lawyer. CTC Legal Media. (September/October 2012)
Co-author “Exhaustion of IP Rights Provisions in the European Union and EU Candidate Countries” report — INTA European Legislative Analysis Sub-Committee, 2002
Co-author “Bad Faith Provisions in the European Union and EU Candidate Countries” report — INTA European Analysis Sub-Committee, 2001 — 2002
Co-author “Trade Mark Recordal Provisions in the European Union and EU Candidate Countries” report — INTA European Legislative Analysis Sub-Committee, 2001 — 2002
Analysis of the IP rights situation and strategy in Central, Eastern Europe and the Former USSR (data on 27 countries), published in multiple IP publications, 2001
Numerous articles concerning protection of intellectual property in publications such as Trademark World, Patent World, INTA Bulletin, World Intellectual Property Report
- International Trademark Association Committee Member, Eastern Europe and Central Asia Subcommittee of the Anti-counterfeiting Committee, 2016 - 2017 Term
- International Trademark Association Committee Member, Eastern Europe and Central Asia Subcommittee of the Anti-counterfeiting Committee, 2014 - 2015 Term
- International Trademark Association Committee Member, Trade Names Subcommittee of the Enforcement Committee, 2012 - 2013 Term
- Belgrade Bar Association
- Brussels Bar Association, B-list (1993-1997)
- Co-chair of INTA’s 139th Annual Meeting in Barcelona, Spain, May 20-24, 2017
- Full Member of the Seventeenth Council of EPI for the term 2014-2017
- Lecturer at IP workshops, EU-funded project "Capacity Building of the Institute for IP through the Establishment of Information-Educational Centers", Consortium led by HD European Consulting Group, Bosnia and Herzegovina, February 2015
- Regular Lecturer at INTA's "Course on International Trademark Law and Practice; Former USSR States and Eastern Europe". INTA Annual Meeting, 2009 - Present
- Regional Editor for "Trade Dress International Practice and Procedures". Global Trademark Research. INTA.
- Close monitoring of developing intellectual property legislation in the Balkans and the former USSR, 1985 - present
- Legislation analysis for Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Poland, 2001 – 2002
- Legislation analysis for Poland, Russia, Hungary, Ukraine, Romania, Slovenia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Bulgaria relevant to enforcement of intellectual property rights - INTA Anti Counterfeiting and Enforcement Committee, 1997-2000
- Analysis of Yugoslavian intellectual property laws for the Federal Intellectual Property Office in Belgrade, Serbia, 1995
- Member of the INTA - CPR Panel of Neutrals for Alternative Dispute Resolution
Slobodan Petošević specialises in the harmonisation of national and EU IP legislation; he has an intimate understanding of the legal complexities of the Western Balkans. WTR 1000, 2017
PETOŠEVIĆ offers a comprehensive package of contentious and non-contentious services to major names operating across the Balkans. The burgeoning team has enjoyed a series of decisive courtroom victories of late; it cracked down on infringements and the wholesale distribution of counterfeit goods. Away from the front lines, the group has also been busy with prosecution mandates. Luxembourg-based Slobodan Petošević lends inimitable wisdom to the team. WTR 1000, 2016
Slobodan Petošević is an eminent market figure, best known for handling cross-border cases. His practice covers patent and IP rights, and he is based in the Luxembourg office. Chambers Europe 2015
Slobodan Petošević is a leading market figure and he frequently handles complex cross-border cases. Chambers Europe 2014
The esteemed Slobodan Petosevic has been on the frontline of trademark developments for over 25 years. WTR 1000 Rankings 2014