- Regional Manager – Western Balkans
- Attorney at Law
- Trademark & Patent Agent
- European Patent Attorney *
After being the head of our largest office in Belgrade, Serbia for 12 years, in 2017 Mihajlo transitioned to the role of a regional manager, overseeing the operations of all our offices in non-EU Balkan countries — Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. As a long-time member of our operations department and the firm’s management board, Mihajlo has helped establish and develop several of our offices in the region.
Mihajlo has over 20 years of experience in the intellectual property field in Serbia and neighbouring Balkan countries and has successfully advised and represented major multinational companies from a variety of industries. He is highly skilled in handling complex trademark litigation and enforcement matters, including court appearances, negotiating with infringers and working closely with the customs, police and market inspectorate authorities.
In 2007-2008, Mihajlo participated in a project funded by the U.S. Trade and Development Agency (USTDA) aimed at helping the Serbian IPO improve its organization and the processing of applications. In 2015, Mihajlo participated in an EU-funded project aiming to improve the capacity of the Institute for Intellectual Property of Bosnia and Herzegovina by establishing centers for information and education.
He is an active member of several IP organizations and has represented PETOŠEVIĆ at numerous conferences and meetings. He occasionally lectures and holds trainings on the subject of IP.
Before joining PETOŠEVIĆ in 2005, Mihajlo worked at another IP firm in Belgrade for 10 years.
- Serbia & Montenegro, 1998
- Trademark & Patent Agent, 2000
Native Serbian (similar to Bosnian, Croatian, Macedonian, Montenegrin and Slovenian), fluent English
- Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, Serbia, LLB, 1996
- "Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights in Serbia," WIPO Training of Trainers Program on Intellectual Property and Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) Belgrade, Serbia, November 1-4, 2010
- "Anti-Counterfeiting in the Balkan Region," United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), Regional Seminar on Intellectual Property Rights, Commercialization and Enforcement, Skopje, Macedonia, April 1-3, 2009
- "Intellectual Property and Industry in Serbia, Presentation on Intellectual Property Assets in Economy, with Special Reference on Small and Medium Size Enterprises. Why and What to Protect?", Chamber of Commerce of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, Serbia, November 6-7, 2007
“Serbia case summaries”. The Trademark Reporter Vol. 101 No.3. International Trademark Association. (May-June 2011)
“Tightening Up in the Balkans”. World Intellectual Property Review Annual 2010. Newton Media Limited (2010)
- Litigation Committee of the European Patent Institute for the term 2017 – 2020
- Litigation Committee of the European Patent Institute for the term 2014 - 2017
- Full Member of the 18th Council of EPI for the term 2017-2020
- Full Member of the 17th Council of EPI for the term 2014-2017
- Lecturer at IP workshops, EU-funded project "Capacity Building of the Institute for Intellectual Property through the Establishment of Information-Educational Centres", Consortium led by HD European Consulting Group, Bosnia and Herzegovina, November 2015
PETOŠEVIĆ is highly rated for the prosecution and enforcement of patents and trade marks, and customs enforcement. Former Serbia office director Mihajlo Zatezalo became regional manager (Western Balkans), while attorney-at-law Mirjana Živković was made Serbia office head. Ivan Matić is a highly regarded senior associate. Legal 500, 2018
Sources say that Mihajlo Zatezalo is an “excellent lawyer,” whose “good background knowledge gives him a broader view of matters.” He has a noted focus on trade mark litigation and also assists with trade mark clearance and registration. Chambers Europe 2018
Stewarding the firm’s offices in non-EU Balkan countries, Mihajlo Zatezalo is alive to the subtle differences in IP protection that exist across these jurisdictions. He is at his best in the courtroom, but also leverages his enforcement expertise to put together inviolable applications. WTR 1000 Rankings 2018
PETOŠEVIĆ ‘always meets clients’ expectations’ and is ‘excellent’ at managing its resources. Practice head Mihajlo Zatezalo, together with Ivan Matić, advised a global sports brand on design rights infringement, which resulted in the destruction of fake goods. Legal 500, 2017
Described by sources as “a very experienced lawyer,” Mihajlo Zatezalo is a highly respected practitioner within this field. He specialises in trade mark disputes and also advises on general trade mark matters, including clearance and registration. He possesses expertise in several industries. Chambers Europe 2017
Dynamic and persuasive Mihajlo Zatezalo leads the enforcement charge with brio. He recently advised FC Barcelona on a matter against Hissar and Faber-Castell on a dispute with a local infringer which had imported over 7,000 counterfeit products. WTR 1000 Rankings 2017
The 30-strong team in Belgrade, led by Mihajlo Zatezalo, handles all types of IP work on behalf of leading global brands such as Nike International, Bayer, PepsiCo, Harley-Davidson and Diageo. Legal 500, 2016
Sources describe Mihajlo Zatezalo as a “feted litigator” who “marshals the squad and will move mountains to ensure clients’ success.” WTR 1000 Rankings 2016
Sources describe office head Mihajlo Zatezalo as “an expert in IP. He is the main man and good to work with.” He focuses on trade mark litigation. Chambers Europe 2015
Serbia director Mihajlo Zatezalo is “efficient, effective, responsive and produces great results in a timely manner”. WTR 1000 Rankings 2015
Clients describe practice head Mihajlo Zatezalo as “perfect: he is easy-going, flexible and willing to listen when you have a problem.” Chambers Europe 2014
IP expert Mihajlo Zatezalo of PETOŠEVIĆ is qualified to practise in Serbia and Montenegro. Clients admire his expertise, commitment and leadership skills.
Clients enjoy working with Mihajlo Zatezalo, and admire his responsiveness and case management skills. He is a highly active member of the team. Chambers Europe 2013
Mihajlo Zatezalo was ranked in this year’s Chambers Global 2013 edition for general business law in both Serbia and Montenegro. Clients in the Montenegrin market admire Mihajlo for his “fast and precise advice.” He is singled out for his expertise in IP-related matters.
Clients observe that Mihajlo Zatezalo is “extremely solid and responsive.” They also noted that he is “prompt, precise and flexible” and also heavily involved with the work of our office in Montenegro. Mihajlo was ranked in Band 1 in Montenegro as a leading lawyer based abroad. Chambers Europe 2012
Clients observe that Mihajlo Zatezalo always “gets the work done in a simple and efficient manner – everything goes smoothly”.
Chambers Europe 2011