- Head of Office - Uzbekistan
- Attorney at Law
- Patent, Trademark and Design Attorney *
With over 15 years of experience in all areas of intellectual property, Djakhangir supervises the entire range of contentious and non-contentious work for our clients operating in Uzbekistan.
Djakhangir has recently handled multiple trademark registrations, renewals and assignments for a multinational technology company and advised the company on various contentious cases in Uzbekistan. Since 2018, Djakhangir and the Uzbekistan team have successfully handled several complex trademark enforcement cases on behalf of a multinational consumer products company against local infringers, before the Antimonopoly Committee of Uzbekistan, commercial and administrative courts, IPO, and the Agency for Consumer Protection. Djakhangir has also been advising a leading confectionery manufacturer in multiple cases against lookalikes in Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan.
Prior to joining PETOŠEVIĆ in 2017, Djakhangir was a partner in a Central Asian regional IP firm and headed its Kazakhstan office for four years. He advised one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies and participated in legal proceedings to protect the client’s patent rights in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. He also advised the world’s leading chewing gum manufacturer on anti-counterfeiting strategies in Kazakhstan and successfully defended the client’s interests in trademark infringement and unfair competition cases in Uzbekistan’s courts. He also defended world’s leading producers of alcoholic beverages in parallel import cases in Uzbekistan and drafted numerous assignment and license agreements for them.
Earlier, Djakhangir headed the legal department of the Uzbek Ministry of Economy’s Technology Transfer Agency and held legal advising positions at the Uzbek patent and copyright offices. Djakhangir also taught IP law at the Westminster International University in Tashkent for almost three years and was a visiting IP law lecturer in different institutions.
- Advertising Law
- Data Protection and Privacy
- Design Litigation
- Design Prosecution
- Domain Names
- Franchise Law
- Geographical Indications
- Internet and Social Media
- IP Enforcement and Litigation
- IP for Startups (IP2START)
- Media and Entertainment Law
- Patent Litigation and Contentious
- Patent Prosecution
- Strategic Counseling
- Trademark Litigation
- Trademark Prosecution
- Attorney at Law, Uzbek Bar Association, 2017
- Patent Attorney, Uzbekistan, 2015
- Trademark and Design Attorney, Uzbekistan, 2014
Native Russian, fluent English, intermediate Spanish and Uzbek, basic Tajik
- WIPO Academy, University of Turin – Faculty of Law & International Training Centre for the International Labour Organization (ITCILO), Turin, Italy, LLM in Intellectual Property, 2010
- University of World Economy and Diplomacy, Tashkent, Uzbekistan, LLB in International Law, 2004
- WIPO Academy Courses, DL-302 Advanced Course on Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications, 2009
- WIPO Academy Courses, DL-202 Advanced Course on E-commerce and Intellectual Property, 2008
- Special American Business Internship Training (SABIT) Intellectual Property Rights Program, Washington, D.C. and New York, NY, USA, 2008
- WIPO Academy Courses, DL-101 General Course on Intellectual Property (in English, Spanish, and Russian), 2006
- "Introduction to Intellectual Property" presentation at the Virtual Practical Workshop on Intellectual Property for Women Entrepreneurs from Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities organized by WIPO in cooperation with ILO, ITC and INTA, October 2021
- “Intellectual Property in Kazakhstan” presentation at the International Intellectual Property Law Association (IIPLA) Dubai IP Congress in Dubai, UAE, January 2016
Contributor for Uzbekistan to Intermediary Liability and Takedown Policies in Asia. International Trademark Association. (2021)
“Patents — Uzbekistan”. Lexology GTDT Practice Guides. Law Business Research. (July 2020)
Contributor for Uzbekistan to the Grace Periods for Renewals Guide. S.M.D. Markeur. (2019)
“Patents in Uzbekistan”, Lexology Navigator Q&A. Globe Business Media Group. (December 2018)
“Kazakhstan amends IP legislation — key changes highlighted”. World Trademark Review Daily. Globe Business Media Group. (September 18, 2018)
“Building an Efficient Innovation System in Uzbekistan” (in Russian). Economic Review. Issue 8, 2012. Center for Economic Research. (2012)
“The Cornerstone of Technology Commercialization” (in Russian). Economic Review. Issue 11, 2010. Center for Economic Research. (2010)
“A Comparative Study of Well-Known Trademark Protection in Italy, Pakistan and Uzbekistan”. Master of Laws in Intellectual Property: Collection of Research Papers, 2009. WIPO. (2009)
- INTA Internet Committee, 2020 - 2021 Term
- IACC / HIS - Expert Team Member
- Lecturer in Intellectual Property Law, Internet Law, Legal Systems and Introduction to Business Law (in English) at Westminster International University in Tashkent, Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 2011-2013.
- Uzbekistan National Consultant for the “Support to Innovation Policy and Technology Transfer” United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Uzbek Ministry of Economy joint project in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 2011-2012.
- Visiting Lecturer at the IP educational center of the Agency on Intellectual Property of the Republic of Uzbekistan in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 2011-2012.
- Visiting Lecturer in International Intellectual Property Law at the University of World Economy and Diplomacy in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 2012.
PETOŠEVIĆ‘s five-strong team in Uzbekistan is known for providing advice on intellectual property and related issues. Areas of strength include representing major multinational corporations in contentious and non-contentious IP matters, including patent, trade mark and industrial design prosecutions and enforcements, as well as customs enforcement. Tashkent-based Djakhangir Aripov heads the practice. Legal 500 EMEA, 2023